Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mulberries

Posted by sue 
sue
Mulberries
November 26, 2009 04:57AM
I am wanting to buy a Mulberry and was wondering which is the best variety of Mulberry tree to buy? Also Virgil I see you have a Pommegrante. I have one that is 2 years old. I was wondering when it should flower. At the end of last year I got some small fruits on mine but they dropped off as soon as the cold started. It seemed to think that it was in the wrong hemisphere!!. Should I be seeing flowers now?
Re: Mulberries
November 26, 2009 05:26AM
Mine is a black mulberry but I haven't seen or tasted any others, so I'm not much help to you, sorry. I know you can grow them from cuttings if you know of anyone with a mulberry tree.
Regards,
Dawn.
November 26, 2009 11:41PM
Hi Sue

I think flavour-wise, the black mulberry is probably the best, but it doesn’t seem to fruit very well in Auckland- not in my garden anyway. I'm currently trialling some seedlings of white Persian mulberries but they are a long way off fruiting yet. There is a red mulberry tree a few streets over from me which is often smothered in fruit- I keep meaning to get some cuttings.
Probably the best option for you is a hydrid- these are quite easy to find, alternatively have a good walk around an older part of your town and see if you can find any trees that are fruiting well. They grow very easily from cuttings.
Funny you should mention the pomegranate. I pulled my original tree out a few years ago because I decided I didn’t like pomegranates. Since then I’ve had same fabulous salads etc featuring the fruit and have changed my mind and bought a new plant just last week!
They will flower from a very small size but will not hold fruit until they are a few years old. I had fruit off my tree before I removed it and despite being an inferior variety, they were juicy and sweet.
sue
November 27, 2009 03:27AM
Thanks for that Virgil. I am thinking I will get a red/white hydrid from incredible eatibles. They say that they fruit spring-summer and easier to haverst.
I will keep my fingers crossed with the pommegrante and hopefully it will realise which hemisphere it is in.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.