Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Horseradish seeds or roots

Posted by magician176 
Re: Horseradish seeds or roots
April 25, 2013 11:28AM
Hello, I got a root once from you a long time ago. If I send to you a picture of my plant, would you be able to comfirm it to be horse radish? I dug up some root and tasted it, but it did not have a sting like pepper or so, in fact, it tasted strange.

Kind regards
Edward
April 25, 2013 10:27PM
Hi Edward

It should be - it was definitely horseradish that I sent and my plant roots are peppery - try to get the fattest roots. Unless the horseradish died and you've picked something that grew in its spot?

Here are some images of horseradish roots and leaves - this is what my plant looks like (and yours should): [www.google.co.nz]

The leaves look a little like dock, but greener and thinner, and the flowers are white, unlike dock that has green flowers that turn to brown.

If it IS horseradish, then I can only suggest it is something to do with the growing conditions, though I couldn't tell you what because I don't do anything special. Mine is in the ground next to a paddock and is left to its own devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 10:31PM by FarmAway.
April 25, 2013 10:29PM
Alex, send me a private message with your email address and I'll sort it out for you. Might take a wee while as I have a busy week ahead.
April 28, 2013 12:43AM
Hi FarmAway,
I planted some garden centre plants Nov 2011 and they haven't really spread at all and haven't flowered yet. Do you think I should give them bit of a feed and give them another year?? I haven't tried digging any up yet.
Judy
May 22, 2013 09:45AM
Hi There,
I have also facing problem similiar to judym, Please help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 09:46AM by hannahsmith.
May 22, 2013 10:10AM
Hi Judy and Hannah, sorry I haven't been on here much recently. I'm not sure what to suggest as mine have thrived on neglect. It does get a reasonable amount of water but no fertiliser though I expect it would like some. I'd use a fertiliser good for root veg, comfrey tea if you make your own or some with good levels of phosphorous if not (the P in NPK).

The plant does die down to pretty much nothing here in winter which is when you are supposed to harvest the bigger roots and leave some in the ground to come back in spring.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.