Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Zucchini not fruiting

Posted by amwilliams 
Zucchini not fruiting
February 14, 2010 06:05AM
I have 6 zucchini plants that have been growing for a number of weeks - but still not fruiting. What am I doing wrong?? Have never had this problem before.

Averil
Re: Zucchini not fruiting
February 14, 2010 10:44PM
Are they flowering yet?
February 15, 2010 12:38AM
Yes they are flowering but no fruit forms after the flowering.
February 15, 2010 04:06AM
Hello Averil,
Have you read the post Helen put up on the gardening forum this morning from Wally Richards entitled 'Gardening February'? Have a read and see what you think - he had a similar problem and found the cause was aphids sucking all the goodness out of the plant. If your problem isn't this, I hope you can find a reason and can remedy the situation in time to enjoy your home grown produce.

I'm having trouble keeping up with my zucchinis - plus the kumi kumi's, and they've gone mad, and I like to pick while they are small and stuff them. Love them!
Regards,
Dawn.
February 15, 2010 08:31AM
I've had similar issue with my zucchinis this year. 4 plants and about 10 fruits. Grrr. I've had them in the ground since November.. and it took several weeks of male flowers before the small number of females started to showed up. Very, very annoying. I've had a pretty dismal harvest this year (aside from tomatoes), it's been very disappointing.
February 15, 2010 10:28PM
Have looked for aphids but none there. So it sounds like the same problem you have had Jenna - have been getting male flowers but still no female flowers. Looks like there will be no zucchinis. I have been growing lots of zucchinis each year so am disappointed that this is the first time it has happened.

Averil
February 15, 2010 10:44PM
It mightn't be too late to plant another one or two - may depend where you live. Our Mitre 10 is still selling rather large looking plants and they don't take all that long to produce.
Regards,
Dawn.
February 15, 2010 11:26PM
In Southland - and our night temps are dropping (4 deg overnight last night) but some nights are 10 deg so they might not get to produce fruit. Might just have to keep buying zucchinis from the supermarket!!
February 16, 2010 12:41AM
Lack of bees can be a problem too. I hand-polinate my Zucchini every morning, makes a big difference.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.