Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Trailing Indoor plants

Posted by IngridO 
Trailing Indoor plants
May 09, 2016 05:41PM
I'm after a hardy indoor plant that will grow down the sides of a cupboard - I've seen fake plants that do this - but can't seem to find a real one

Does anyone have any suggestions for indoor plants that hang and trail down over the sides of a pot?
Re: Trailing Indoor plants
May 09, 2016 05:56PM
I love Mother of Pearl. I had a prolific one that George insisted on moving - and it died. I have never seen one again (although I haven't really looked)
[www.joyusgarden.com]

Another one is Hoya, although I have mine trained on a small trellis within a pot, so it is upright, but that also trails. I am green with envy at our neighbour - mine has never flowered and it is inside - his is hanging outside, and it was full of flowers this year. The scent is incredible. I think mine doesn't get enough sunlight inside, but the leaves are luscious.
[en.wikipedia.org]
May 10, 2016 03:42PM
Ingrido, Look for Grape Ivy (Cissus Rhombifolia) easy to look after and very attractive. Any type of Ivy looks great.I have Grape Ivy hanging from a pot in the corner of my dining room and another flowing down the side of a kitchen cabinet.everyone comments on how good they look.
September 26, 2016 12:33AM
Aeschynanthus (lipstick vine) works well for me - has glossy green leaves, and dark red tubular flowers (hence the common name) Another favourite is rhipsalis (mistletoe cactus) although this needs good light but no direct sun - mine is on a cabinet beside a south-facing kitchen window. Right now it is covered with starry white flowers (it doesn't flower every year...)
J1
September 26, 2016 04:43PM
String of Hearts plant (also known as Rosary Vine, Ceropegia linearis woodii) is pretty. [www.pernellgerver.com]

There's also the very attractive and interesting succulent Donkey's Tail (Sedum morganianum) but little pieces can be broken off reasonably easily if it's in an area where it will get bumped or it's strands moved about.
September 27, 2016 11:05PM
J1: I think the string of hearts plant is what I'm after actually however I can't seem to find them at the local plant barn ....I've been in many times and they say they struggle to get them in - Is that strange? Surely they can't be uncommon?
J1
September 28, 2016 04:45AM
I used to have a glorious one, with trails over 4 metres long but that was way back in the 1980s. These days I have no house plants...

There's one small one selling on trademe [www.trademe.co.nz] - might pay to grab it. The plants put out little nodules which you can use to start new plants so you could go into business with your one little plant and recoup your money... smiling smiley

Otherwise King's Plant Barn says if you put your name down with them they'll let you know when they've got them in [www.kings.co.nz] - perhaps you could become their main supplier smiling smiley
September 28, 2016 04:55AM
Ha ha J1...I like your thinking - this could make me rich?!?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.