Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

what's eating my silver beet?

Posted by des 
des
what's eating my silver beet?
August 15, 2016 07:15PM
Hi, I'v been growing silver beet forever and never had any problems other than snails occasionally. Suddenly this year it's been really savaged by something. Not snails or slugs and I have checked at night and nothing. Also no whiteflies. I've had slugem down and sprayed with an insect spray also I have stripped all the eaten leaves but the new ones are still being eaten.The leaves are not eaten fully but totally covered in holes. Any ideas please? Thanks, des
Re: what's eating my silver beet?
August 15, 2016 07:46PM
It may be earwigs Des, although if you've sprayed with insect spray you'd think they would be deterred.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 15, 2016 08:42PM
I would think that is likely to be birds.
Does that sound feasible?
J1
August 15, 2016 09:13PM
I agree with Helen. Especially during winter when there's not so much other food around. Apparently sparrows are particularly likely to do it.
des
August 16, 2016 02:00AM
Thanks Well, l I do have a lazy cat that wanders around. I have 3 areas of sb well apart from each other and all have been eaten.I'm pretty sure it's not birds as the leaves are not torn, only separate holes in all leaves.. des
J1
August 16, 2016 02:29AM
Dawn's earwigs might be a good contender then.... [floracresent.wordpress.com]
August 23, 2016 04:33PM
We have sb too & I noticed yesterday earwigs in them & I do have holes. I have found the odd baby snails but that's all. We don't spray so probably earwigs.
January 02, 2017 07:26PM
Hi Des, I tried various things and asked at garden centres. This video shows well the problem affecting my silverbeet and Yates say that it is caterpillars.

[www.yates.com.au][/url]

Advice I received eliminated many possibilities. In December/January I eliminated these
- possums - would cause more damage
- slugs - have used plenty of slug bait
- birds - I've strung up bird scarers but that made no difference and I never saw any birds
Damage always occurred at night and there was no evidence of the culprit, leaving me to believe that Yates was correct and caterpillars are the only thing it can be. Good luck. Regards, Giles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 07:27PM by GPotter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.