Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

kitset raised garden beds

Posted by karena 
kitset raised garden beds
October 13, 2016 04:39AM
Does anyone have a zinced steel kitset raised garden bed? (the ones stocked by Mitre 10, Bunnings, the Warehouse etc) I'm thinking of buying one, but wonder whether the metal sides heat the soil and dry it out around the edges of the bed when the sun is on them? Also, whether they last longer than the ones with timber sides? (I'm assuming that the steel must eventually corrode)
Re: kitset raised garden beds
October 13, 2016 05:32PM
I have been using my Kiwi Collars for about 6 years with no sign of deterioration and I bought them through TradeMe
[www.trademe.co.nz]

They also have their own website:
[www.kiwicollars.co.nz]

I have no experience of the zinc steel ones you are asking about, but I'm very happy with my Kiwi Collars. I have put heavy duty black plastic pool liner around the inside sides, NOT on the bottom otherwise the worms can't get in.This has probably contributed towards their long life.
Re: kitset raised garden beds
October 15, 2016 05:23AM
Thanks for this, Lorna - I have decided to go with a timber kitset as well, and it was interesting to see the Kiwi Collars ones, as I didn't know about this brand. My old timber raised bed lasted for 8 years, and I'll line the new one with heavy duty plastic this time, so it should last even longer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.