Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Hot,Windy Deck.

Posted by marylew 
Hot,Windy Deck.
November 06, 2016 01:44AM
Does anyone have my problem of a hot and windy deck.The deck wraps around my kitchen but it is for the most of the year very windy.When the sun shines it beats down on my outdoor tubs and some plants don't like it. I put an Hydrangea out a month ago but had to move it because it didn't like the sun or the wind it nearly died.I potted up Azaleas but the wind quickly bruised their lovely white flowers.I am wondering now if conifer can stand the heat and wind? I am happy to water and feed regularly anything that will make my deck attractive.It doesn't need to be a flowering shrub, I just want nice greenery.Any suggestions please.
J1
Re: Hot,Windy Deck.
November 06, 2016 03:06AM
Conifers would be okay but you'd have to choose which ones carefully.

Perhaps also consider lavender, geraniums, succulents, daisies and/or herbs such as rosemary, thyme and bay tree (keep it trimmed to the size you want). If you don't already have a herb garden, you could perhaps make a potted herb garden on your deck and includes others such as mint, sage, marjoram/oregano, chives, parsley.
November 06, 2016 03:28PM
Would it be possible to put a trellis at one end with green wind-break material on the outside. You could then grow a hardy climber on the inside, providing some shelter for your other plants.
November 07, 2016 08:57PM
Good idea Lorna.
November 08, 2016 12:17AM
J1,I will look at buying a Bay tree, I'm sure that will work.Lorna I do like your idea of a trellis which I just might do with help from family.Thanks for your suggestions.
November 08, 2016 12:22AM
Potted cycads will withstand heat and wind, and they will tolerate drought (although they do better when watered regularly). If you don't feed them too much they will stay compact for a long time.
November 08, 2016 02:23PM
TPANDAV, perfect thanks I have just googled these and they are what I am after.The height and colour with a tropical look to them.I didn't know they were called cycads so I didn't no where to look.Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.