Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Orchid Plant Knowledge?

Posted by Irene Field 
Orchid Plant Knowledge?
February 03, 2017 02:07AM
One of our Orchid plants has this very large pod on it - which I have never seen before. I can't attach a photo as the file is too large apparently (which is weird for an iPhone pic?). Does anyone have any idea what it is? We have never had any of the other Orchids in the same family have one before, and this is a first
Re: Orchid Plant Knowledge?
February 03, 2017 04:45PM
I'd imagine it's a seed pod. What variety is the orchid?
February 03, 2017 08:45PM
Irene, when you say the photo is too big, have you inadvertently changed the resolution in your camera settings? I have my resolution set at 1280 x 720 and have no problems loading photos on here, facebook, or sending them by email, etc.

Can't help you with the orchid problem - I have only one of those miniature orchids - Phalaenopsis, which flowers for about 6 months and then seems to go dormant over the winter months.
February 03, 2017 09:36PM
I would agree with Griz - a seed pod. I have had a few slipper orchids in the past, but never experienced a seed pod.
Regards,
Dawn.
February 03, 2017 11:15PM
thanks ladies. The Orchid is a Cymbidium - back in 2015 for $20 we purchased a huge amount (ie the back of a Ford Transit van was packed to the brim) of Cymbidiums from an Orchid farm that was being forced to move due to building development in the West Auckland area. All the plants have been really hardy and the flowers are amazing. And now we have this 'seed pod' Just the one and I am not to sure how long to leave it or what to do with it smiling smiley
February 04, 2017 01:51AM
[www.google.co.nz]:

That'll link to pictures of a cymbidium seed pod. So if you leave it on your orchid it will eventually split and release lots of seeds. The seedlings may be different from the parent plant, or may be the same if all your varieties are the same. If you would like to collect the seed wait until it dries and turns brown then put a paper bag around the pod to catch the seed. Sow in trays of orchid growing mix.
If you aren't interested in seedlings then cut it off now so the plant can put it's energy into leaves/flowers/growth.
February 04, 2017 01:58AM
Griz, that is exactly what we wanted to know. Thank you so much for sharing. We are definitely saving the seeds. We split and divided a lot of plants and have given them away - and then in horror realised we only left ourselves with one Red (there were about 6 different colours). You can't go and ask people for your Orchids back. Fortunately this seed pod is on the only red Cymbidium we have smiling smiley
February 15, 2017 04:54AM
While I like to think my fingers are reasonably green I just cannot keep orchids looking healthy nor flowering.
Any tips Irene?
I don't over water and I do feed them with orchid food but try as I might the flower dies off (after time) and never returns.
February 23, 2017 03:41AM
Helen, I have that problem with the Phaleonopsis (sp?), which are the smaller indoor ones and have given up on them. And yet a friend has several that are years old! I wonder if it is the lighting? I now have the Cymbidiums, which are the outside orchids and they are easy maintenance.

I do know that Orchids do not like wet feet, so you must not leave them sitting in water!
February 23, 2017 04:01AM
Phalaenopsis seem to be very sensitive to light intensity. In our previous house we had about 20 which were all supremely happy in a corner of the room that got morning sun filtered through a big tree. In our new house they are in a similar position but the morning sun is less filtered, and they are not happy at all. It's hard to know what to do.

I water them about once a month by giving them an hour or so soaking in the sink then draining completely.
February 23, 2017 05:43AM
I have one phalaenopsis given to me last August in flower, and it's still in flower and has recently produced a new leaf. Mine is in the corner of the room too and gets some unfiltered morning sun mainly on the flower and is very happy. I water once a week by filling it's pot with water then immediately draining it thoroughly. I was frightened of it when I was given it, thinking it would die if it's left to me to look after, but we seem to like each other. I'm keeping an eye on it's stem where I think it may form a new branch of flowers in the future. So when the last of the flowers currently on the plant die off, I will cut the stem off to just above the next flower stem node and keep my fingers crossed.
Regards,
Dawn.
April 05, 2017 03:54AM
Irene can you tell me about your cymbidium care. Do you feed/water them regularly or leave them to nature?
April 05, 2017 04:16AM
Helen, over winter they are on our front deck as it is protected and receive very little water (only when we think of it). They stay there until they have finished flowering. In summertime we move the pots along the back path and they are semi sheltered by the eaves of the garage and house. We moved them back to the deck early this year as we have had so much rain that they were constantly wet, which they do not like. They are in pots in Orchid Potting Mix and we feed them once a year.

One of the workers at the Orchid farm we purchased them from told us never to leave them sitting in water, to ensure they have good drainage and that they love being pot bound.

Helen, with our current lot (I think we still have about 20 plants).. if we divide in the future, do you want me to keep you in mind and let you know. Our friends are all 'orchid-ed out'. Wont be til next Summer or even the next, but can let you know if you like, and you can have what we split off.

Further to my original post... that seed pod is still there and still very green. How long do they take to go brown?
April 05, 2017 04:42AM
Oh yes please I would love an orchid or two when you come to dividing them.
Thanks.
Sorry I know nothing about seed pods. smiling smiley
April 05, 2017 05:37AM
helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yes please I would love an orchid or two when
> you come to dividing them.
> Thanks.
> Sorry I know nothing about seed pods. smiling smiley

That is great Helen.... will keep you in mind (and advise George now) if we split any off. We have run out of friends (Irene No Mates) to pass them on to smiling smiley

ps the ironic thing is that No. 1 Son is building and requires all the plants he can get and it's a large block in a rural area overlooking Raglan ocean c - couple of acres I think - and they have building covenants and they are only allowed natives!! We have a prolific cabbage tree - and all the babies go out to him, but we can't share anything else

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 05:38AM by Irene Field.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.