Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Growing yams in Oz

Posted by Heather F 
Growing yams in Oz
July 22, 2017 11:03PM
Hi FL, I've found a place where I can buy tubers to grow here in Adelaide (the Diggers Club in Vic). They're selling 5 tubers for $10.95; pricey I know, but I just love them. Are 5 tubers enough to get a reasonable crop, or should I get 10? Thanks for any advice.
Re: Growing yams in Oz
September 14, 2017 08:06PM
Yams are a member of the oxalis family I think and they grow very easily at least here in NZ (Wairarapa) My friend grows hers in pots, but I'm not sure what her crops are like. I do understand that once you have them in your garden they are very hard to get rid of as each little yam left behind will grow more. I'd be inclined to get 10, put them in large pots and see what your crop is like, then you can decide whether to put them in the garden, and if you need more you can keep some of your crop, for next year.
Re: Growing yams in Oz
September 15, 2017 05:02AM
Thanks Griz (and Helen :-) ) I did get 10 and gave 5 to a friend who has a semi rural weekend property. He's going to put his in the ground as he has the room and doesn't mind if they keep coming up year after year. I am going to put mine in a grow bag, if it ever warms up here. Well it is Oz so I know in a couple of months I'll be hating the heat, but still very chilly atm - 15d again today with an icy wind. I'll report back after my expected glorious crop lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.