Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Transplanting Lily Bulb.

Posted by Chris 
Transplanting Lily Bulb.
October 14, 2017 05:47AM
A little while ago I dug up lily bulbs from a hard to manage bank and transplanted them into a half barrel. To my surprise I discovered three more lilies coming up on the bank. They are now between 10 and 15 cm highs. Do you think they would survive if I dug them up at this stage and added them to the barrel or would I be best to leave them where they are and take them out when the foliage has died? They are very hard to get at and have been growing despite neglect on my part. Your advice would be appreciated. I am a novice when it comes to lilies and they should never have gone into this unsuitable position in the first place.
Re: Transplanting Lily Bulb.
October 17, 2017 08:49PM
You'll probably find that they continue to come up as it's almost impossible to get rid of all the little bulblets that set from the main bulbs. If you take some soil with them they'll probably transplant now, but I'm sure the proper gardeners would say to leave them until they are dormant. I tend to have a suck it and see approach, if they die they die, you have others that will continue to grow. I shift plants all the time and they mostly survive.
Re: Transplanting Lily Bulb.
October 19, 2017 06:15AM
Thank you Griz. I did the deed today and transplanted the bulbs that I had missed earlier. You are right. There were a number of little 'bulblets' and I don't think I got them all. Now I shall wait and see what happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.