Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Basil with brown spots

Posted by Steph 
Basil with brown spots
May 25, 2006 01:08AM
I hope all you clever gardeners out there dont mind me asking such a simple question on the newly formed Gardeners Forum, but my basil plant which grows in a pot outside has recently got brown spots all over it. I live in Auckland and it has been raining a lot lately and very heavily. Could the spots just be rain damage ? Is the basil still safe to use ?

Many thanks
Steph
Re: Basil with brown spots
May 25, 2006 07:45AM
That happened to my basil (I live in Auckland as well) - I assumed it was because the temps are getting lower (a couple of weeks ago they were anyway) - in fact too low for basil - so I harvested the lot - and will wait for spring before I try to plant more....

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
May 25, 2006 07:46AM
I still intend to use it - it's all safely frozen waiting for a pesto mood to take hold...

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
May 26, 2006 12:42AM
it could have got water logged so lie it on it's side to dry out and in winter turn saucer upside down so it is not sitting in water .the brown spots could be a rust if it was mildrew it would white.
Iwould clean the pot all up and cut back to start again
Dorothy
May 26, 2006 02:42AM
My basil always gets brown spots at this time of year outside. It is in the garden and I just attributed it to the lowering of temperature and rain.
I still use it.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.