Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Star Jasmine

Posted by Chris 
Star Jasmine
June 06, 2006 11:02PM
I planted about 20 star jasmine around a tree and hope that they will ultimately form a nice scented groundcover. The plants are doing very well and have been producing long "tendrils". I was wondering if I could peg those down and if they would form roots so that I can get more plants this way. The plants are quite well spaced and I might have to buy a few more otherwise. If the pegging does not work, do I keep cutting of the tendrils and will that make the plants bushier? You are right - here is a gardening novice speaking.
Thanks for your advice.
Chris
Re: Star Jasmine
June 07, 2006 01:08AM
My. you are sure going to have a busy time keeping it in check. Yes they send out tendrels and will finally choke the tree if not kept in check. I have three of the Jasmonoides, a real pain. But you can cut them back quite hard after flowering.
June 07, 2006 06:22AM
The star jasmines can be a little confusing.

I think you are referring to the star jasmine of the Trachelospermum family. This is the Trachelospermum jasminoides, also known as Confederate jasmine or Star jasmine. This is a friendlier jasmine than the Jasminum family of jasmines.

I am growing a little hedge of them myself. I have also had one in an Italian terracotta pot for quite a few years, and it's one of my most beloved little plants. I keep it pruned and it looks almost like a daphne and the scent is absolutely wonderful.

I don't personally know if the tendrils would take root but my little book of words says propagation is by seed in spring, or layering in summer, or from cuttings in late summer or autumn. So it seems if you do the layering in summer, then you might have some luck with your idea. This particular star jasmine is slow to start but will flourish once established, so good luck.

June 07, 2006 11:10PM
Thank you all for your advice/responses. I have the "benign" type of jasmine, Carolyn. And I will give layering a go. I've got nothing to lose. I also had one plant in a pot by the front door. It got so rootbound that we planted it out into the garden last year and it is doing very well. Jennifer, I have never noticed any seeds. I assumed the plant was some sterile hybrid. I will give cuttings a go as well. All comments are greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Chris
June 07, 2006 11:59PM
Hi Chris, I have some seed pots on one plant in my hedge. The pods are long (nearly 7cm) and thin - a bit like really thin pea pods. I just went outside and opened one up and there are five long, thin cream-coloured seeds inside (they look like maggots - yuck). I don't think this pod is ripe yet.

I don't know how often the plants would get seed pods. As I said, only one of my plants has any on it.
June 08, 2006 02:10AM
I do have that one as hedging. It still has to be cut back as it can run rampant. (The tendrels)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.