Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Heritage Apples

Posted by lynley 
Heritage Apples
June 08, 2006 07:48AM
Yay!!!! I am the proud mother of 5 Heritage apples and a quince, 3 will be planted in Dunsandel at BIL's farm and the other three are with me - sleeping.....I can't wait to be eating my own apples: Laxtons Fortune, Egremont Russet, Mt Cook, Lord Nelson, Fairbelle, Smyrna Quince

[www.qtc.co.nz]

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
Re: Heritage Apples
June 09, 2006 03:46AM
Are any of the varieties you bought similar to a cox orange or pippin?
I dream of them!
Also how is Auckland for growing those types of apples if you are not fussed on spraying? Is it generally too humid?
June 09, 2006 04:25AM
Laxtons Fortune:
Fairly early dessert apple, ripens early February. Round medium size attractive appearance. Pale yellowish-green flush with bright redstripes. Flesh creamy white, firm sweet, juicy with a rich flavour. Small compact tree suitable for the small garden. Crops well from an early age. Parentage: Cox's Orange Pippin x Wealthy. Raised 1904 Bedford.

My next door neighbour has a granny smith growing really well - I grew apples on Waiheke Island a few years back - you can spray copper & lime sulphur in low doses as a preventative - which works really well and you can disrupt the mating cycle of codling moths if it's a drama (not necessarily so in a small home orchard environment)

you should get a couple Helen - you won't regret it....

confession - I am a complete geek:

[www.treecrops.org.nz]

[www.hortnet.co.nz]

[www.organicpathways.co.nz]

more info if you can be faffed reading - VERY interesting results regarding the nutritional value of heritage varieties as opposed to the pacific rose type apples in supermarkets - it seems an apple a day does keep the dr away - as long as it's a heritage apple!!

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
June 10, 2006 01:19AM
I am convinced and it seems as though Laxtons fortune is the apple for me!

thanks Lynley and yes from all that I too have read it seems as though the sweet apples currently available such as Pacific Rose have lost all of the goodness that the heritage apples have maintained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2006 01:20AM by helen.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.