Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Coffee Grounds

Posted by Irene Field 
Coffee Grounds
November 14, 2006 11:27PM
I have been making filtered coffee (due to my cordless kettle hanging up its lunch tin) and I have a vague feeling that you can either pour cold coffee or the grounds onto your pot plants. Does anyone know if that is correct or not?
I know cold tea is good, but am trying to rack this rapidly aging brain, as to whether it works for cold coffee/grounds.

Cheers, Irene
Re: Coffee Grounds
November 15, 2006 12:52AM
I was going to talk about nitrogen and mulch and....but this website just happens to cover everything you need to know about coffee grounds (with some interesting ideas as a bonus! smiling smiley )

[seattlepi.nwsource.com]

November 15, 2006 01:05AM
Jennifer, how do you find these websites!! That is fantastic thank you. Although I don't know about a coffee pathway - mmmm, might smell nice but imagine the mess on the bottom of your shoes.
Awesome, will pour cold coffee and place the grounds on to the tomatoes for starters.

Cheers for that!!!!!!! Irene smiling smiley
November 15, 2006 11:24AM
Hi there... I have used coffee grounds as a snail deterrent around my hostas and other scrummy (for snails) plants... seemed to work as this year I haven't done it and the hostas are looking more like fruit salad leaves with all the holes!!
November 16, 2006 06:58AM
How would coffee grounds go around the herb garden? I know the tread that talked about Basil, said that it needed lots of food. What sort of fertilizer do you use? Something like Thrive all purpose?
Thanks Linda
November 16, 2006 08:47PM
Linda, every year I grow basil "trees." No special care- just a sprinkle of general garden fertilizer dug into the ground before it is planted. THe only thing I do is stake the plants, as the summer wind sometimes blows them over.
November 16, 2006 10:08PM
I think the path mentioned in that fantastic little article (thanks Jennifer!) was made with over-roasted beans - not grounds - which I guess are discarded by the roasters big-time in Seattle! what a great idea - don't you just love the internet....

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2006 10:09PM by lynley.
November 22, 2006 01:36AM
I put our used coffee grounds into the compost, after seeing Aucklanders queuing up to buy the used grounds in a cafe a few months ago..... asked my citywise daughter what this was all about and she told me they were buying them for their compost......so it must even be trendy, do you think???? smiling smiley
January 11, 2010 06:39AM
I had heard about coffee grinds being great for the garden, so I have got 4 bags waiting for me to do something with.I got them free from a cafe!!! Someone told me that they had put them straight onto the garden and the snails came running!!!!! Would it be best for me to put them in the compost bin?
jen
January 11, 2010 11:20PM
I put spent coffee around the bases of our veggies, and the slugs and snails won't go near them, and other bugs give the coffee grounds a wide berth too. I noticed that even our dogs and cats won't go near the garden when the stuff is spread liberally on the ground. (They know they aren't allowed in the garden...)
jen
January 12, 2010 01:30AM
Thanks, Jen. I did look up the website that was posted earlier and I put my goffee grinds around rhubarb and hostas.
This gardening pastime is all trial and error for me. All successful so far.But very early days yet. It's my first season.
Gill
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.