Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Riedel Wine Glasses

Posted by Marnie 
Riedel Wine Glasses
March 01, 2009 07:54AM
I would love to purchase some Riedel wine glasses, but there is no way I could afford to purchase a set for every wine variety. Apart from the cost, I'd need another room to store them!
Is there one versatile type for most red wines and same for white wines, or is that sacrilege?
I know there is also another manufacturer of wine glasses that are said to rival Riedel, but are not as expensive. I cannot remember the name. I think they are made in Austria.
Re: Riedel Wine Glasses
March 03, 2009 04:51AM
Riedel are beautiful. I would love some but would probably have to do both red and white i think.
They will remain on my wishlist but will post if I ever see specials - surprisingly I have at times.

March 04, 2009 03:47AM
I have the Riedel Vinum range at home. they retail for about $55 each glass, but as i only use them for decent occasions, some of these glasses are 15 years old now and the breakage rate is very low. For general red wines, use the Chianti Classico glasses, but for whites use the Chardonnay glasses. I recommend buying 6 of each and that should cover all occasions. The Spielgau range of glasses is slightly cheaper.

chris
March 05, 2009 12:14AM
Thanks Helen and Chris.

Your comments gratefully appreciated.

Helen, would be great if you see any specials to post.

Chris, I note that Riedel also have a lower price range, Ouverture. For those who don't have Georg Reidel's bank balance!! From memory, I think about half the price of Vinum.

It would be good to have a tasting comparison using the Vinum and Ouverture ranges.
Friends of ours from USA went on a 'wine cruise' and one of the things offered was a presentation featuring Riedel. At the end of it, those who attended were all presented with a set of various glasses.
March 06, 2009 08:53PM
Hi Marnie,

the overture range are non grape specific, they are also not made from lead crystal, therefore the quality isn't as high. There are some nice styles though. Price, I'm not sure of though.

Chris
March 08, 2009 11:04PM
I have Sommelier Riedel Bordeaux wine glasses - Exclusive range 860 ccm capacity. I find they do double duty for both red and whites. I have had mine now for over 20 years and still have eleven left out of the original twelve. Needless to say, they do not get used every day and do not go anywhere near a dishwasher so still look as new. Well worth the price; but, very few people seem to notice what they are drinking out of (or even what they are drinking) and as these are very plain to look at compared with cut crystal glasses I'm sure they often think they are just ordinary glasses - until you tap them with a finger nail and then they sing.
Sometimes I am tempted to use jam jars instead. Roses jam jars would be quite impressive I think and we might score a few more points from the punters.

March 09, 2009 03:16PM
I prefer peanut butter jars myself, provided it's the product from China, though.
May 06, 2009 03:24AM
Hi Marnie!
I have a couple of bits of useful info for you! Firstly, the cheaper Austrian glass maker that you are thinking of is "Spiegel" and they are very good value for money. Secondly, if you know anyone who works in the restaurant trade, they may be able to order for you glasses from the Riedel restaurant range. In Australia (where I live) these cost $10 each and come in all sorts of beautiful shapes and sizes. They are a bit more robust than the full priced Riedel glasses but they do the job just as well and you would have to be a real expert to spot (or care about) the difference. Good luck! tom
May 06, 2009 05:30AM
Hi Tom!

Thanks for taking the time for that information. Very much appreciated.
We did purchase 4 of the glasses, not the most expensive ones, (I haven't won lotto yet!) but still good, to try out and are very pleased with them. The robust ones would be great to have as well.
I agree that some wouldn't notice what they drank out of, but there are times when it is nice to have something special.

Cheers,
Marnie

June 09, 2009 04:02AM
I have just been emailed details of a Riedel sale at Glengarry at Victoria Park in Auckland - this Friday-Sunday
[www.glengarry.co.nz]
June 09, 2009 07:11PM
Thanks for that Helen. That's what I call a sale!
June 11, 2009 04:54PM
Are you going to buy any Marnie? I am looking but I really can't decide if I can justify a purchase or not.
June 11, 2009 07:02PM
Unfortunately, we are committed to something else this weekend and won't be able to make the trip to Auckland.
I can only drool at the discounts.
Strangely enough, we do get regular emails from Glengarry and there is no mention of the sale in their email. Even though we did purchase some glasses from them a couple of months ago. I suppose it is mostly aimed at restaurants and people known in the hospitality and food organisations.
We noticed one of the stores in town displaying some Riedel gift packs and went in to speak about them. They are having a Riedel representative doing an in-store presentation "soon", naturally, we asked if we could be included and they have added our names to the list to be contacted. There is a cost, but that also includes a set of four glasses. It is going to be one of those special treats to ourselves.
If you do manage to make the sale, you might look at a couple of really special Christmas gifts. I'd be interested to hear about it.
December 10, 2009 06:50AM
hi to all buddies......
now this is the general discussion related to wine....so important of glasses is also the important issue as concerned to wine lovers.........so my suggestion about the wine glasses to all my friends is glassware.com. where you can find the best quality wine glasses in the cost effective way.........
as per the mine experiences it would become the great experience with red wine in your side....
so try with some different way........
Thanks....
January 22, 2010 06:43AM
You were embarrassed, particularly when that fact became the thing that just everybody made jokes about. Now, you are planning another get-together and you need to avoid this difficulty with wine glasses decorations, but how does one begin?

Buying Reidel Wine Glasses Decorations:

Just about every department store carries Reidel wine glasses decorations. They literally look like tiny earrings with different charms on each one and are built to go around the stem of the wine glass to mark it as individual for different guests.

These charms are commonly sold in packages of 4 or six and cost anywhere from 5 to twenty dollars relying on where they are purchased, the material they are made from, and how ornamental these glass decorations are.

One of the most creatively fun ideas to engage in, for a bunch of best friends, is to make your own Reidel wine glasses decorations. It is splendidly simple and they'll love it.

In fact, you will even consider sending the personalized charms home as party favors. All you have to do is go to your local craft store and pick up stainless-steel or nickel plated wire ring findings. While you are on the same aisle, pick up a few charms that you think will be great identity markers for your chums, and perhaps some beads for color.

When you get home, slide the beads and charms onto the rings, fasten the rings round the stems of each glass, then wait to see the grins on everybody's face as they realize how much trouble you went to just for them. Probabilities are, they can all straight away forget about the last time and will just enjoy the individualized attention you have put into their evening.
August 13, 2010 08:02AM
For the first time i heard about riedel. i went to their website and found, as you said, separate wine glasses for every possible type of grape wine.
I think they should also make some 'neutral' goblets which go well with every kind of wine.

Vivino:The Biggest Wine Database
October 11, 2011 01:56PM
Hiya..I won 6 zalto wine glasses..They are mouth blown and so lite..I have them still in the box..cost is 325.00 to 350.00..I am selling them for 180.00 for the 6..Email if interested.
October 24, 2011 01:44AM
If the Zalto glasses are still available I would be keen to purchase them...
Zalto/Cynthia
June 13, 2012 05:38PM
Hi Cynthia, I'd love to buy those Zaltos, but can't see your email addy..... Mine is hughthewineguy@gmail.com hopefully you see this!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.