Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

French wines

Posted by Lynette - PNG 
French wines
September 14, 2006 12:01AM
I recently had a wonderful opportunity to sample some superb French wines with a meal. I can strongly recommend that if you get a chance, you try all of these. The wines I had were -

Beaune de Chateau Premier Cru 2004, Domaine Bouchard Pere et Fils - this was a chardonnay and whilst I am fiercely patriotic, it put NZ chardonnay to shame!

Chateau Beychevelle 1995, Grand Cru Classe, Saint-Julien - a red wine but I don't know what variety but absolutely stunning

And with dessert, I had Clos Labere 1999 Sauterne

Fortunately, I was told that the first wine was a chardonnay but I have no idea about the red. I would like to know how to interpret these labels for myself in future. Would I be correct in assuming that the first name is the vineyard, the second, something to do with the winemaking process and the final name the region? If that's the case, what does Premier Cru and Grand Cru Classe mean? And how are you supposed to know you're drinking a chardonnay?
Re: French wines
September 14, 2006 12:54AM
Hi Lynette,

at about NZ$100, the Beaune should have put a lot of NZ Chardonnays to shame, though Kumeu River Mates Chardonnay (NZ$ 50) would have given it a run for the money. The wine is a Beaune Premier cru, by Bouchard Pere et Fils, a competent producer from Burgundy, but by no means the best. I can't work out which premier cru it is though, there is no 'chateau' premier cru, the closest would be Champs Pimont or Les Chouacheux.
The Ch Beychevelle 1995 is a 4th growth bordeaux (decent bordeaux goes from 1st growth (best) to 5th growth though all are good). The blend of grapes is Cab Sauv 59%, Merlot 30%, Cab Franc 8% and Petit Verdot 3%, cost about NZ$130 per bt. It's good stuff as I had a magnum of '82 with a friend a few months back.
Not sure on the Sauternes, but it will be a Sauvignon / Semillon Blend.

As far as French wine labeling, vineyard, appleations, varieties go....well after 20 years in the trade I'm still learning everyday. I suggest that you get a copy of my 'bible' for wine, the Southeby's wine encyclopedia isbn 0-7566-1324-8. To explain what you asked would take a couple of hours first up. I suggest you get the book, then I can help with any small points if you need. The book will tell you most of what you need to know and have asked today.

hope that helps a little,

Chris
September 14, 2006 08:16PM
Wow, I knew they were good wines and was obviously very spoilt!

Thanks for the info Chris. If after 20 years in the business you're still getting to grips with it, then what hope is there for me? But I will keep an eye out for the book the next time I'm in Australia or NZ.

One more question, how difficult is it to source these wines - I would love to have some tucked away for a special dinner or just to indulge every now and then.
September 14, 2006 09:22PM
go to www.winesearcher.com . You just need to enter the wine name and vintage and it brings up wine merchants who stock the wine and do internet orders (cheapest to most expensive, but the prices exclude local sales tax). This will give you the best shot for older classic wines. For PNG you will get a choice of the US, Aus and maybe even NZ as the nearest places to find the wines. Thay are still relatively young, so supply should be quite good.

Happy hunting,

Chris

PS the book is on Amazon, or try real groovy here in NZ.
September 14, 2006 09:36PM
or she could get them couriered to her sis here in NZ - I promise, I solemnly promise they would be looked after and not opened - yeah right smiling smiley
September 15, 2006 12:27AM
After a tough day at the office, who could blame you Irene.... I am sure your sister would understand! smiling smiley
September 15, 2006 07:39PM
Well I was going to get them sent to you Irene as most places wouldn't freight to PNG but as I'm stopping off in Sydney next week on my way back to PNG, I found a wine merchant in Sydney that will deliver to the hotel. Better luck next time!
September 15, 2006 07:48PM
bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley
December 26, 2007 04:56AM

Can anyone please tell me anything about this French Wine
has been given as a gift....obviously I don't know my wines !!!

GRANDIN Methode Traditionnelle

Thanx

December 29, 2007 03:26AM
Yep,

methode traditionelle French fizz, from Loire valley. Chenin / Chard / .......... blend. Retails $15 (give it away merchants) to $ 25 (real price). Decent stuff, but not a keeper. Better than Lindauer SR by a long chalk.

chris
October 30, 2009 06:59AM
Ronnie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Can anyone please tell me anything about this
> French Wine
> has been given as a gift....obviously I don't
> know my wines !!!
>
> GRANDIN Methode Traditionnelle

personally i have tasted Grandin M├ęthode Traditionnelle Brut NV, Grandin sparkling is elegant with an exception bouquet and exquisite aroma. it is from Champagne region of france
[www.vivino.com]
i really cant help you with more on this, coz i dont know more about it, will definitely try to get more info on it

November 04, 2009 05:31PM
No it is not from Champagne, but the Loire Valley.

Please stop trying to plug your website on this forum.

Chris
November 04, 2009 06:34PM
Thank you Chris, I was sure I wasn't the only one getting irritated with the seemingly poorly disguised form of advertising.

Marnie
November 04, 2009 06:58PM
ditto Chris and Marnie !! get sick of people trying to freeload and push their own barrows, albeit in a concealed manner. As I have said before......... Pay and Display !!
December 28, 2012 12:47AM
Chateau Puy Fromage or Saint Emilion Bordeaux....simple but excellent wines.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.