Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Wee Tip re coca cola fudge cake

Posted by Lisa Templeton 
Wee Tip re coca cola fudge cake
October 14, 2007 05:39AM
Hi Everyone,
Well I decided to have another play with the cocacola cake recipe for anyone who make this reguarly you might want to try substituting the milk with Sour Cream. Do exactly the same volume as the milk. It makes the cake even moister and gives it a really lovelly texture.
Warm fuzzies
Lisa
Re: Wee Tip re coca cola fudge cake
October 14, 2007 11:50AM
I've got some sour cream in the fridge, I will give it a go this week and let you know.

Thanks for your tip!

Argie Girl
October 14, 2007 11:24PM
Oh yum - although this recipe is already so scrummy that I can't believe it can taste any better!
October 15, 2007 10:46PM
Could someone pls tell me where I can find the recipe for the c/c fudge cake?

Thanks
October 15, 2007 11:34PM
Just do a serach of the forums - make sure you click "All Dates". On the "Search" option in grey just above where Lisa has started the thread.
October 17, 2007 04:06AM
Hi to all,

I made the coca cola fudge cake recipe with sour cream last night and I can say it is absolutely delicious!!! I think I like it better than made with milk, firstly because the batter is not that runny and also because the texture is fudgier.

I'm having a piece now with a cup of coffee as I type this message and it is nicer than it was last night, still very moist.

I used lite sour cream (that was what I had in the fridge) and I also noticed it was expired, but you actually can't taste that sour cream was expired.

Thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.

Have a good afternoon!

Cheers,

Argie Girl
October 17, 2007 04:43AM
Have this cake in the oven now. Anyone know exactly how long it takes to cook?
October 17, 2007 09:33AM
Hi Anne,
I hope it turned out ok? Normally it will take around 40 minutes in a fan oven, but I find that most recipes differ from oven to oven so do do a prong test.
Warmest Regards
lisa
October 17, 2007 09:52PM
Thanks so much Lisa. Yes, 40 mins was the perfect time in my fan oven!! Delicious!
October 18, 2007 12:31AM
Plain Yoghurt is also nice in replacement. This makes it last longer in the tins - if that is possible with kids around!

Hey Lisa, we drove through Timaru looking for your shop on the last weekend of the school holidays and couldn't find your store. The phone book gave us an address which was like your depot or something. Is your cafe called something else besides Denheaths? It was a shame as we were all hanging out to go there!

Cheers

Clare
October 19, 2007 01:25AM
Hi Clare,

Oh no!!! We don't have a shop. the Depot is where our factory is based. One side of the building is a distrbution warehouse, the other side our office and bakery.

Hopefully next time you come through you can call in!

Kindest Regards

Lisa
October 19, 2007 08:40PM
Lisa, I think maybe Clare was thinking of your brother's cafe that you have mentioned a couple of times. I can't remembe the name of it, so perhaps you can put the name and address here for other Foodlovers heading down your way.
October 19, 2007 10:11PM
I made the cake for the first time. What's the texture supposed to be like? I was imagining a dense, mud cake sort of thing and it came out a very light, open type of cake.
October 19, 2007 11:58PM
The texture is not heavy but a beautiful light moist cake although the batter is very runny when first made.
This cake does not last in my house, No 1 son is a scout leader and his scouts have just gone away with a cocacola choclate cake but how much they will get is another story.
I have be asked to make this cake so many times by people that I just about know it of by heart.
Lisa I will try the sour cream next time hopefully next week, DH has just cleaned the fridge and thrown out the sour cream that I had, I had planned to make some scones oh well.
Kay D
October 20, 2007 12:52AM
Lisa with your permission maybe we could ask Helen to put your Coco Cola cake in her recipe bank for future postings, I have seen it several times on Foodlovers but never tried it but being a long weekend and I have some sour cream I would like to use up and when I try to find the recipe on the forum I have trouble finding it, I have saved it into my recipes folder now though
October 20, 2007 03:09AM
Hiya,
Craigs cafe is called Off the Rail and its at the bus stop and railway staion on Station Road in Timaru.
I have experimented with this recipe this week and was surprised to find it is a cake that gets moister and yummier on the second or thrid day. Unfortunately its hard to make it last this long!!
Tracey after a day it is very fudgy on the first day it is quite light. Make it one day refridgerate and ice the next. You will be pleased with the texture.
Warmest Regards
Lisa
October 20, 2007 09:24AM
I am wondering how this mixture would go in paper cases for a 50th birthday of
my dear friend..........Just an extra to the birthday cake, thankyou..... ngaire
October 21, 2007 12:47AM
Hi Ngaire,
I have made it in muffin papers and have been pleased with the result.
Kind Regards
lisa
October 21, 2007 11:55PM

Hi Lisa,I have two questions re this cake : the recipe calls for a 9 x 13'' cake tin - all of my cake tins are round springform,19cm,20cm up to 25cm.Which size would be the best,also,how long should it bake for in a non-fanbake oven ? It sounds delicious and I plan to make it for a birthday morning tea tomorrow.Thanks.
October 22, 2007 03:34AM
Being able to covert tin sizes is a very useful skill so I will tell you how to work it out. If you go to this website [www.manuelsweb.com] you can convert inches to centimetres giving a recommended tin size of 23 X 33cm. Then you need to remember your primary school maths to know that the area of the recommended tin is 23 X 33 = 759 cm2. You need to choose a tin that has approximately the same surface area. The area of a circle is the radius (half the diameter) squared X pi (3.14). We want
the radius squared times pi to equal the area of the desired tin so
3.14 X (r X r) = 759
r X r = 759/3.14 (divide both sides by 3.14)
r X r = 241.7197. . .
thus r = the square root of 241.7197 = 15.5473 cm
If the required tin radius is 15.5473 then the diameter is 31.0946cm. You will need to use your largest tin but it will make a deeper cake than in the size recommended so will probably need to cook for longer. I suggest you cook it for the length of time specified then test it and cook longer if needed. Not having fanbake won't make a lot of difference to the cooking time and each oven is individual anyway so cooking times can't be taken as gospel.
To save doing so much maths each time, you can work out the area of each of your tins and write it on the bottom with permanent marker. Then you only need to work out the area of the suggested tin and compare with the ones you have to find the one that is closest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2007 03:34AM by PennyG.
October 22, 2007 07:26AM
I made it yesterday in my non fan bake and I cooked it for 50 minutes, it is very moist and very fattening, or is it because I iced it with chocolate ganache
October 22, 2007 08:33AM

Thank you Penny G,I am seriously impressed.I didn't really understand any of the workings but the biggest tin it will be.Thanks again.
October 25, 2007 11:24AM
Can I please have the recipe for the Coco Cola Cake recipe
October 25, 2007 11:59AM
Can I also have the recipe for the Coca Cola Fudge cake.
Thankyou
October 25, 2007 09:07PM
The recipe is on this thread - [www.foodlovers.co.nz]
I can't find this recipe anywhere, can anyone help with its location?
October 26, 2007 12:40AM
Here's Lisa's recipe brought forward:

Author: Lisa Templeton (210.55.223.---)
Date: 03-10-04 09:17

Coca Cola Fudge Cake

1 3/4 C Flour
2 C Brown Sugar
3/4 C Cocoa
2 t baking Soda
1 t baking powder
dash salt
2 eggs
1/2 C oil
1 C Cola
1 C of Buttermilk (I actually use trim Milk and it works)
1 t vanilla
Sift all dry ingredients into mixing bowl
Add wet and beat on medium to high speed till combined. Make sure you line you tin with gladbake if the tin is spring form as this is a very wet mix.
But being such a wet mix its is a moist almost mud cake texture. In fact we used to wholesale it as mud cake.
Bake in 9 x 13 Inch cake tin at 350 F or until prong comes out clean.
kind Regards
lisa

February 27, 2010 11:59PM
I made this great cake for a birthday cake. Lovely texture and so so easy.

Aside from the tang, what does the cola do - could I substitute with coffee or water or even soda? The other ingredients provide fat, sweetness, and raising agents so I would think it would work?

I did love it anyway but had to buy the cola in especially as I don't drink it normally.
February 28, 2010 09:54PM
I made one using dry ginger ale and added some SodaStream ginger syrup for added ginger oomph. I also used the ginger syrup to make the glace icing. Now why didn't I submit that for the food challenge this week? Probably because I made it about 6 months ago!
March 01, 2010 05:22AM
The cola makes the cake richer and darker. I have made this cake with lemonade, but I do prefer it with cola. Its also nice heated with cream mmmmmm thickened cream is great and or icecream. It was one of my cravings during my pregnancy with Majick!
Warm Fuzzies
Lisa

www.denheath.co.nz
Join us on www.facebook.com/denheath
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.