5 Minute Artisan Bread

Posted by PalmyLyn 
Re: 5 Minute Artisan Bread
February 10, 2008 01:58AM
Thanks, Momma - just ordered one
February 10, 2008 05:41AM
Zowie Zoe,
---- this one in the spring form tin (18cm sprayed with oil then floured with plain flour) is the best yet. It weighs just over 1lb and has a nice dome. Just like a professional one with a slight sheen too. All the dough has been used up making just three loaves and not four. I proved it for well over an hour until it was just beginning to rise and had produced a few interesting looking blisters which I took care to make sure were still there when I put it into the oven. Pooof, like magic, the dome was raised immediately the steam hit it on the head.

Thank you Zoe, you are a Godsend. You too PalmyLyn for bringing this to our attention. smiling smiley smiling smiley

I have another batch on the go now and checked the protein of both flours.. both 11g. This time I am using a different flour (Champion HG) but still required another 2 cups water. My measurements are somewhat cavalier, however, but I am learning that measurements don't seem to overly matter with this bread. It works regardless. The salt I'm using is coarse NZ Pacific Harvest sea salt. I see another unopened bag I have has far coarser grains than this one which is almost like a flaky salt.
February 10, 2008 06:36AM
I also only manage to get 3 loaves rather than 4. Today I experimented with putting a heated cast iron casserole over the loaf while it was baking and found that it gave a much more rounded loaf in contrast to the peaked ones the recipe usually produces for me. I baked it for 20 minutes with the casserole over it then about 7 minutes without it. I got the idea from another recipe for a no knead bread that is cooked in a dutch oven.
February 10, 2008 07:11AM
Well, I've been out and bought the yeast, so will try the recipe in the morning. One thing - I note that in the original recipe the bread is baked on a pizza board or stone - is anyone doing this, or are you just using an oven tray?
February 10, 2008 07:13AM
Me again. I forgot to ask about the link that Zoe gave for the brioche recipe - when I click on it all I get is a page asking me to register with the website - has anyone else managed to access the recipe?
February 10, 2008 07:21AM
I don't use a stone - just a heated oven tray.
February 10, 2008 08:39PM
Hi Momma

I had to register before I could get the recipe...but it wasn't a big deal and easy to do.
Worth doing just to get the recipe I think - haven't made it yet though!

I've made the bread three times now and have simplified it for me - I use:
1.5 tbs yeast
1.5 tbs coarse sea salt
5 cups (250ml) room temperature water (previously said 7 - duh! way too much)
1 x 1.5kg packet of white flour or 750g white and 750 wholemeal

Its working really well - yummo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 08:17PM by Ginny.
February 10, 2008 09:41PM
Me again, I did the recipe from the site being:

3 cups lukewarm water (about 100º F)
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher or other coarse salt
6 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour (no need to sift)

AND it was very wet, as I took some of the advice from the thread, so when I took it out of the fridge to cook the next day, after standing it for 50 mins, I had to use a heap of flour so the bread did not look like a cow patty, probably would have added some more, anyways it took 45 mins to cook as it seemed raw on the inside after 30 odd minutes, was still stodgy after 45 mins, anyways we ate the bread and it was yummy although very flat. Had some bounce in it, until I cut it. I too will have to find a better method than the bread knife for slitting the bread at the start, but could have just been a result of my very flacid mixture.
I will definitely be giving this a whirl again, it was still very yummy, despite my family's breadmaking curse.
I do have one question though, is our yeast the correct grunt or should I use more and now that it is a soggy loaf, can I add more flour to the bucket before doing my next loaf(ves) or should I just add it when I intend to make the loaf before standing it, or should I just stick with the cow patty bread until the mixture is all used up???
The bucket in the fridge in the garage reminds me of the changling from Voyager...

Anyways thankyou to all for PalmyLyn for sharing the recipe and thankyou to my faithful FoodLovers for sharing their experiences with the loaf and thankyou to Zoe for the recipe originally. Gosh I sound like someone from teh Emmy Awards or Miss World and also I want World Peace etc...

Warmest regards,
-Kathie-
February 11, 2008 12:58AM
Hi - I'm Kris from gardens by the lake (krisgardens.blogspot.com). I followed links from Zoe's site to this wonderful forum and the first thing I saw was a link to my blog. Thanks PalmyLyn!!!! That was a smile maker! This is a great site - and how fun to see all the sharing about this fabulous bread.
My most favorite recipe right now is the European Peasant Bread:
3 c. water
1.5 tablespoons yeast
1.5 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Same general directions - bake at 450 for 35 minutes with steam. The bread has a rich flavor - we love it! Next I want to try dough with more whole wheat. And I have to mix up the brioche dough - caramel rolls - yummmm! I've also tried the olive oil dough they recommend for focaccia, pizza, etc. I have a feeling every dough they put in the book is too good not to make.
Thanks for the link - and this great forum. Now I'm off to check the garden forums - my passion!
February 11, 2008 07:04AM
I've just made my 2nd loaf from the 2nd batch of dough. They're getting better and better as I find the best way for me. This dough is very forgiving, it seems no matter what you do to it, it turns out a very edible, tasty bread. I have started baking it in a loaf tin, oiled and lightly floured, and it turns out very well, though I, too, only get 3 loaves from the mixture. Once I forgot to put the hot water under the bread, but it was still delicious. This is so much easier than a bread machine, which I find I have to watch while the dough is going through it's first knead to make sure the water content is correct. 3 minutes mixing and I've got bread for the next week! Marvelous. I'm off to order the book from Fishpond. Thank you for that Momma.
February 13, 2008 05:50AM
I'm onto my 2nd batch of this bread and yep it is great. Many thanks to those who introduced it and all the variations that are popping up.
I just use an oven tray to bake - put piece of baking paper on there, put the dough on there to rise, and then transfer straight to oven. Seems to work well, despite the tray obviously not being preheated. Yep I do use the tray of water underneath also.
I fan bake my loaves at 190 and knock it back to 160 if looks like browning too much. 'Tis great this way.
I also only get 3 loaves outof the dough, but then again we are hearty eaters.
Also found that to score the top of the loaf, using a knife that had been dipped in water helped a lot.
Amazon also has the book at a good price...
February 13, 2008 10:37PM
I have been reading about this bread, could I have the website for the recipe please
February 14, 2008 12:21AM
Look at the very first message in the thread - it is in there.
February 14, 2008 11:49PM
Hi Lyn

I love making bread and this artisan bread sounds wonderful but I can't find any recipes anywhere at the places you have referred to. If you've got a recipe it would be great if you would post it. I am not averse to buying books but not without any prior knowledge of what I am buying. Thanks,
Judy
February 15, 2008 12:10AM
As Penny said above it's on a link at the start of this thread.
February 15, 2008 01:05AM
Here is the link again for those who can't find it - [krisgardens.blogspot.com] Being a blog, the bit with the recipe has slipped off the first page.It was posted on Friday, January 4, 2008 so you can find it by clicking on 'older posts' at the bottom of the page OR you can click on 'bread' under 'labels' at the right hand side of the page OR you can type 'artisan bread' in the search box at the top left of the page.
I know it would be easier if we could post all recipes here but we need to be careful not to breach copyright.
February 18, 2008 08:56PM
Hi, I'm so glad you are all having such wonderful success and fun with the recipes!

Kathie3461, I just wanted to tell you that if you are to add extra flour to your batch of dough make sure you give it a long time to rise. By adding more flour you will knock out the gas bubbles that have formed from the yeast and your dough may be too dense. If you mix in the flour and then let it rise again overnight in the refrigerator you will be just fine!

When you first let the dough sit out on the counter did it rise at all? I'm wondering if your yeast is still alive?

Thanks to everyone for trying the recipe!!!

Zoë
February 18, 2008 11:07PM
Thankyou for that Zoe, yes the bread did come out very dense, but we battled through it, I am due to start my second batch tonight and I have ordered the book - so I haven't been frightened off. No the dough didn't seem to rise much and I do have a very warm house at this time of the year. I am sure that I will be luckier with my second batch - still wondering if our yeast is the same grunt as yours???
February 19, 2008 08:40PM
I've been wondering the same, Kathie. I'm using the red-top Edmonds stuff which has other things added to it so maybe we need to either use more of it or try the yellow-top stuff which is yeast granules only. As I've just recently bought a huge jar of the red-top, I'm going to have to try using more. I make up the dough in my Kenwood bowl and it rises almost to the top, but thinking about 6 1/2 cups of flour, maybe it should be rising a lot more than that.
February 19, 2008 09:56PM
Lorna, hopefully the successful Artisan Bread FoodLovers could help us out on this one; I am now using the Tasti Yeast, thought I'd give it a whirl...
February 20, 2008 09:18AM
Because I wanted to make the bread "now!" but couldn't be bothered making a special trip to the supermarket, I used some Elfin granulated yeast, which comes in 8g, or 1 tbsp foil sachets and which had been lying around in the pantry for some time. In fact it had been lying there for several years it seems as the best before date was Nov 2002. Figuring someone would some day ask whether they could safely use 5 yr old yeast in airtight foil sachets I went ahead and used it, and the bread turned out beautifully. I imagine the individual packaging protected it from deterioration, unlike the granulated yeast in jars which probably loses a bit of grunt every time the jar is opened and the contents disturbed by a spoon.

Fabulous recipe - great texture and flavour, and what appeals to me particularly is the fact that I can make a lone nester sized loaf every 3-4 days without the wastage associated with buying family sized loaves which never get consumed before they start to lose their freshness. The birds have been missing out a bit as a result.
February 20, 2008 09:36PM
If you are using Surebake yeast (red) you will need to use twice as much as if you use active yeast (yellow).
February 21, 2008 08:03PM
And a bigger container than my Kenwood bowl, and a bigger fridge to hold the bigger bucket. smiling smiley

I Think I may have to halve the other ingredients instead.
February 21, 2008 09:16PM
PennyG, do you have the specs for the Tasti Yeast, as you do for the SureBake?
February 21, 2008 09:35PM
I'm afraid not Kathie but I think that if the tasti yeast contains bread improvers (ie floury stuff in amongst the yeast granules) then the proportions will probably be similar - about half improver and half actual yeast. Try using twice as much of the Tasti yeast and see what happens. Yeast baking isn't an exact science, a little more or less won't hurt.
February 21, 2008 11:27PM
I've been using the Edmonds orange/yellow top Active yeast. It is 6 months out of date and still working a treat. I mix the dough (1.5 tbsp yeast) up in a large bread making bowl and then when it has done its thing, transfer to a smaller bowl that fits easily inside the fridge. The dough still rises a little but doesn't go walkies visiting other prisoners within.

I've since used half rye and half white and put it into a loaf tin, (about 3 days later - I don't use it the day of making) allow to rise over about 3 hours sitting in a sink of hot water - but not to the point of collapsing again, then into the hot steamy oven. The rye bread is very similar to Vogels in texture and moisture content. I love it. Doing it this way though I only get two loaves so no. 1 lasts several days and by the time I come to make no. 2 the dough is well over a week old. Will be playing around with it some more too.
February 21, 2008 11:46PM
Thankyou PennyG and MentorKerry for the words of wisdom. I will complete my second batch and try the more yeast next time...
February 24, 2008 12:08AM
Those who ordered this book from Fishpond, have you got your book yet? Any delays in getting your book?
February 24, 2008 04:46AM
Mine arrived yesterday (ordered on the 10th Feb). I started reading it last night and finished it this morning when I woke up at 5.30am. Now I just need to try all the recipes! The brioche ones might need to wait till next spring when I have an egg glut again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 04:46AM by PennyG.
February 24, 2008 08:41AM
Thanks Penny - I ordered one too on the 10th, along with another book that has already arrived, so hopefully my bread book is still to come.
Kaye.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.