Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Blackboy peaches

Posted by Lee-Anne 
Blackboy peaches
April 11, 2008 02:04AM
Hi, Looking for some recipes for blackboy peaches, have done heaps of bottling so maybe relish. Cheers Lee-Anne
Re: Blackboy peaches
April 11, 2008 08:06AM
You are so lucky to have blackboy peaches, it reminds me of my childhood in the South Island with a blackboy tree in the back garden! I rarely see them in Auckland. How about Peach Crumble for pud tonight?! Enjoy!
April 11, 2008 10:11AM
Anne I bought some in FruitWorld about a month ago.
February 19, 2009 12:56AM
Hi Saw some Blackboy peaches in local fruit shop - are they significantly different or better than golden queen or white fleshed peaches. I did not buy as I got Royal Gala New Season apples, apricots, golden queen peaches to go with plums, watermelon and rockmelon that I had at home!

I am interested as to their taste and texture.
February 19, 2009 05:03AM
Black boys are unlike any other peach. Not better as such, just different.
They are very good bottled and served with cream. Also make a good blood-red bellini. I have a tree but they dont seem to be mad on Aucklands climate- very sporadic cropping.
they are almost too good to fuss with much. Just eat them au naturale .
February 19, 2009 10:59AM
Thanks - I'm buying fruit twice a week at least at the moment because it is so good, goes so quickly and also deteriorates in the heat. Mostly I eat it as is, or in a simple fruit salad. The most adventurous I have got is poached apricots, apricot jam (just 2 jars), and plum and almond tart.
March 09, 2009 06:26AM
Hi Blackboy peaches -I am in South Head Auckland-grew one from a pip and after 3 years,last year I had 20 small peaches. This year I have HUGE peaches and cannot keep up with them. They are a peak experience-I often eat skin as well . I have never bottled as they seem super soft to deal with and I have never had as many before.
March 09, 2009 07:56AM
Yesterday I made chutney using blackboy peaches. The recipe came from this months Next magazine. It made a rich sweet chutney which goes well with cheese.
Barbara
March 09, 2009 11:24AM
Hi Barbara. Just looked in the next mag. March and Feb 2009 and can not find the recipe for the chutney can you let me no the page no and month of book cheers Lee-Anne
March 09, 2009 11:46AM
Hi Lee-Anne - It is in Next 2009 on page 153 next to a plum sauce recipe . It is in the Savour section in an article called Ripe Opportunity which starts on page 150 . The magazine has a photo of Theresa Gatting on the cover looking very glam in purple. Hope this helps.
Barbara
March 09, 2009 11:48AM
Sorry - its March 2009
March 09, 2009 12:53PM
Hi Barbara, Having a blond moment as I made this recipe a few weeks ago with peaches and riped it out to put in my file. Will try it with blackboy ones next. Cheers Lee-Anne
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.