Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

New Cook Books

Posted by Tammy 
New Cook Books
May 08, 2008 07:09AM
Is anyone as obsessed with cook books as me? The new Borders store at the Albany mall has got such a great selection and it is so tempting!!! What new cook books have others bought recently and what ones do you covet?

I have bought the following:

Savvy by Jason Dell (after sitting in on his class at Savour NZ)
Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey (cant remember the name of the writer, but amazingly decadent treats!)
Party Cakes by Mich Turner (trying to build on my cake decorating skills!!)

I am coveting:

Turqouise by Greg Malouf
Quite tempted to get "Decadence" by Philip Johnson - but how many books on baking and sweet things does a girl need!!!!!
Re: New Cook Books
May 08, 2008 08:30AM
No Tammy, I am over my addiction! I use the library now as I realised that I only made 1 or 2 recipes out of each book.
Bev
May 08, 2008 10:07AM
I am definately a cookbook junkie. I have quite a large collection of cookbooks in our library and I would not dream of parting with any. The last one I purchased was Piri Piri Starfish
We are in Melbourne at the moment and are off to dinner at Shannon Bennetts Vue De Monde tonight, I can see myself buying his new book My French Vue tomorrow. I already have his book My Vue.
Bev
Jo
May 08, 2008 11:59AM
Yes, I share your addiction Tammy. Mine is quite focused - I love NZ cooks and chef's books - to the extent that I search out old books so I have a complete collection. I have a dream of owning a copy of every single edition of the Edmonds cookery book. Why - who cares why, I just do!

Books I want: Piri Piri Starfish and Falling Cloudberries, Casa Moro and anything else by Sam & Sam Clarke. There are others......

Tammy - there is never such a thing as too many baking and dessert cookbooks :-)

I have a personal budget that is meant to be used for new shoes, new clothes etc. I spend all mine on cookbooks which is a problem in that I am growing wider and therefore need some new clothes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2008 12:00PM by Jo.
May 08, 2008 08:47PM
I, too, love cookbooks but being on a limited budget I find I can only drool over them these days. To compensate, I treated myself to my MasterCook programme and now can download any recipe off the internet at the touch of a button, complete with picture. If there isn't a picture with that recipe, I can search Google images till I find one that fits the recipe and add that to it. I can also add recipes at the touch of a button from emails, plus I can type them in by hand if want to or have to.

I do have a large selection of cookery books, some inherited from my Mum and some purchased by me over the years, but I would love to own any/all of Greg Malouf's books. One day.................
May 08, 2008 10:49PM
i also love cookbooks especially new zealand ones also, I have just got the alison holst bread book after reading about on here. I am on a limited budget so i get my cookbooks from the local hospice shop or garage sales so who can complain when i got the above book for 20c and in was in great condition. I am a real addict over cookbooks especially baking and desert books. So this is the best place for me to go to shop some wonderful bargains can be had. So always keep this in mind for future shopping
Cheers
carolyn
May 08, 2008 11:52PM
Jo, I am after the Casa Moro one as well. Anotehr great one I have that is similar is Claudia Roden's Arabesque
May 09, 2008 12:03AM
Sadly I too, have cookbook issues - I have both the Moro and CasaMoro books and my 2 possibly 3 Moroccan cookbooks and and and and .....I still probably can't cook.
And to top it off, I still download a heap from the internet; I think I OD my brain with too many recipes and I cannot figure which ones to do.
May 09, 2008 01:06AM
do you recommend the Casa Moro book Kathie?
June 20, 2008 12:17PM
I went to the local library this week and took out an armful of cookbooks. Amongst them was "Desserts - 500 Delicious Recipes - an incredible collection of tempting ways to end the meal, from simple classics to indulgent treats, with over 500 photographs" edited by Ann Kay and published by Hermes House of London in 2007 (ISBN 1-84477-653-0).

It's the most brilliant dessert book I've ever come across. For instance, it has heaps of sorbet/icecream recipes with simple instructions for making them without an icecream maker. It has dessert recipes from all over the world. The majority of the recipes are easy to make, with easy-to-obtain ingredients, yet the desserts are original, inspiring and sound delicious. Every recipe has clear, easy instructions and a colour photo. Here are some examples of what the book holds:
Chocolate & Orange Souffle (made using semolina)
Coconut Pancakes (as in Bangkok)
Sticky Toffee Pudding
Moroccan Rice Pudding
Baked Rice Pudding, Thai-style
Magic Chocolate Mud Cake
Gingerbread Upside Down Pudding
Blueberry Frangipani Flan
Mango & Amaretti Strudel
Chocolate, Date & Almonmd Filo Coil
Moroccan Serpent Cake
Creole Ambrosia
Lime Sorbet Watermelon Sorbet Blackcurrant Sorbet
Chocolate Sorbet Ginger & Kiwi Sorbet Chilli Sorbet Lemon Sorbet
Chocolate Ice Cream Chocolate Flake Ice Cream
Chocolate Ripple Ice Cream Rocky Road Ice Cream
Coconut & Lemon Grass Ice Cream
Mango & Chocolate Crème Brûlée
Chocolate Mandarin Trifle
Tangerine Trifle

etc.

I'm going to get my own copy. However, in doing so I've discovered the book is a little hard to get. The one I have from the library is the one shown on this page:
[www.bjbooks.co.uk]

However, that one doesn't seem to be available anymore. But this one, as shown on fishpond:

[www.fishpond.co.nz]

seems to be very similar. I'm hoping it's the same but I won't know until I get it, unfortunately.

I thought some of you might be interested in getting it, or maybe finding it at your local library.

June 20, 2008 01:11PM
I borrowed "Movida" from the Library "Spanish Culimary Adventures" by Frank Camorra & Richard Cornish - from the restaurant in Melbourne of the same name

wonderful inspiration for those of us inclined towards tapas

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
June 20, 2008 10:48PM
Have any of you cookbook fanatics tried buying your books from The Book Depository? It's a UK website and postage if free, even to NZ. The books, even after the exchange rate & bank charge for conversion, are cheaper than if you bought them here. For instance, the one you talk about Jennifer, is £11.53. Here is the website for anyone interested: [www.bookdepository.co.uk] Scroll down to book No. 4.
June 30, 2008 01:13PM
Lorna

Thank you so much for the address of this site. I have just received Claudia Rodin's Arabesque and Pauline Nguyen's Secrets of the Red Lantern from the UK Book Repository site and I am in heaven! Combined, the books cost me NZ$92, a saving of around NZ$35. The savings from books ordered from this site are amazing and freight is free!

I am also awaiting Ottolenghi (an 'in' London restaurant) from Amazon.co.uk (book depository had sold out).

Just reading Arabesque evokes for me the middle eastern flavours and aromas that I have recently experienced. I can't wait to recreate those sensations. Red Lantern combines one woman's story of her family's emigration to Australia from Vietnam. It is a story that is hard but which is softened by the all-pervading comfort of food. It includes recipes from both her family and her Red Lantern Restaurant.

I'll let you know about Ottolenghi when it arrives.

Thanks again for the recommendation, I'm telling all my friends!
Tania
June 30, 2008 10:31PM
That's great Tania, and it's only 10 days since my original post about the site, so you obviously haven't had to wait too long for delivery, unlike Fishpond which can take 3 - 4 weeks, and you pay for it. Makes you wonder, doesn't it.
June 30, 2008 11:47PM
My son gave me for Christmas two years ago the Arabesque cookbook by Claudia Roden and is constantly asking me to cook from it as I have tended to use it more as a "coffee table" type of book! Last night we tried the Meatballs with Pinenuts in Tomato Sauce with a Peppery Bulgur Salad. Next on the agenda is the Chicken Tagine .. so I'm told! It is a lovely book though.
July 01, 2008 02:19AM
Yes I have,Lorna.I got Rick Stein's Mediterranean book & it was heaps cheaper than buying it here.

Judith
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.