Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Can I freeze pumpkin (urgent!)

Posted by Alan 
Can I freeze pumpkin (urgent!)
May 13, 2008 03:14AM
I have two pumpkin halves here that we simply cannot use in a hurry.
I know we can make soup (or puree) and freeze that BUT
how would it be just to cut in chunks, de-seed and freeze those
raw? I have a feeling it won't work as they contain much water.
Anyone know please ?
Re: Can I freeze pumpkin (urgent!)
May 13, 2008 03:27AM
Alan, I have successfully frozen raw pumpkin. It was cut into chunks and then I placed it in bags and froze it. no problems. It was for soup, so I don't know if roasting it would be successful after freezing however??
May 13, 2008 03:41AM
hi
i have frozen in pieces from raw also and just put in the oven to roast from frozen works just great
cheers
May 13, 2008 03:47AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU ....we'll get freezing right now.

Great stuff Foodlovers people !!!!
May 13, 2008 03:52AM
actually now for another Pumpkin related question... how do you know if a pumpkin is ready to eat or not. The neighbours had pumpkins growing and one insisted on popping through the fence and residing in our patch. We left it as long as possible, and it is one of those grey skin ones but small.
It looks ready, but is there anyway of telling.

I am not a real pumpkin eater.. apart from pumpkin soup, so I am not up to the play with pumpkins.
May 13, 2008 04:25AM
Sorry Irene, wish I could help with that one as you've helped me.
We just get them from the supermarket ....mind you, if it's been there
a while and has not grown over the past 2-3 weeks I'd be picking the
thing anyway.
May 13, 2008 05:37AM
My mother always told me to harvest the pumpkin when it's stalk starts drying out, so that's what I do.
May 13, 2008 08:37AM
Yep I used to work with growers and if the stem is green it is unripe, once it turns a browny colour and is drying it is ready.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2008 08:37AM by JulianneT.
May 13, 2008 09:01AM
This afternoon I cut from the plants my crop of butternut pumpkins - I think it could be a decent frost tonight, plus the rats and meece will be starting to look for winter food (I've digressed). What I was going to say is that all the stems had started to shrink and lose their original fullness.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2008 09:03AM by Dawn.
May 13, 2008 10:28PM
Isn't a ripe pumpkin supposed to sound hollow when you knock on it?
May 15, 2008 08:11PM
For our winter squash such as acorn, buttercup, and green kabocha types, we usually look for a rust or yellowish brown spot on the ground side. If it is light green, let it sit for a while. If it is bright yellow or golden, it is usually ready to pick. This also works on watermelon.

Lorna, If I try something and don't succeed, its usually because I did it the way she who must be obeyed told me to do it. (usually several times)

Greg
May 15, 2008 09:48PM
Sorry, Greg, if you didn't succeed,you must have misunderstood one element of her instructions. You really should listen, you know. smiling smiley grinning smiley
September 29, 2012 07:48PM
whats the longest time I can keep it in the freezer?
i want to know if i could shred my pumpkin an freeze it would it get freezer burn to easy...
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.