Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Reduced Sugar Bounty Bars

Posted by helen 
Reduced Sugar Bounty Bars
June 18, 2016 12:37AM
I made some chocolate coconut bars that are possibly vegan (depending on the chocolate you use) and have significant less sugar than Bounty bars yet taste delicious.
The recipe is here Chocolate Coconut Bars.
Re: Reduced Sugar Bounty Bars
June 19, 2016 01:27AM
I must admit I'm a bit lazy when it comes to coating things with chocolate. If possible I prefer to spread the filling in a suitably sized baking tray, pour over the melted chocolate and spread quickly. Then leave to set and cut into squares or fingers.

Dipping is messy and causes a lot of waste {waist smiling smiley} chocolate.
June 19, 2016 08:39AM
I tried these. I used normal cream . They were nice but I felt the coconut itself did not absorb enough moisutre and still tasted dry. I would do again, but soak the coconut first?
June 19, 2016 11:40PM
Hi Plates, hmm that is interesting as I thought my mixture was quite moist.
I have made them a couple of times.
I will try them again today and see if I think they need more moisture.
June 20, 2016 12:34AM
These look fabulous - I am trying to persuade myself that they are almost Paleo. We do (and enjoy the benefits of doing) intermittent fasting but we no longer lose any weight. So I am giving Paleo a go in an attempt to jiggle (!) the weight loss into happening again. One of these would be a delicious treat but they look so damn good it would be nigh impossible to eat only one. I see on Facebook that your followers are using condensed milk. No. Just NO!
June 20, 2016 01:56AM
Ha yes, sweetened condensed milk is the original recipe I am guessing and this one is more for those who want coconut cream and maple syrup vs the sweetened condensed milk. These are much less sweet than the original version.
June 20, 2016 02:16AM
They appeal to me very much!!
June 20, 2016 08:56AM
I didnt mean for you try again, I know you would only put up a recipe if you tested......It will definitely be me - and the coconut I was using prob was not the best.
June 21, 2016 02:34AM
All good Plates, I just wanted to check and yes I did find it moist enough.
I mix the coconut and coconut cream quite well and it does feel quite wet (ish) as I am forming it into logs, but not so that it is soggy.
If you find it too dry I would suggest perhaps adding a bit more liquid.
I am tempted to try the condensed milk version but just worried that they would be way too delicious.
June 21, 2016 11:22PM
They are, Helen, they are!
June 22, 2016 12:55AM
Has anyone here tried them dusted with cacao? I am tempted to make them for someone else (oh, ok, yes I would try a little nibble).
June 22, 2016 05:01AM
Mine have gone too crumbly to dip - too long in the fridge chilling perhaps?
June 22, 2016 05:44AM
Shouldn't be chilling time Stephanie as Daisy made some last night that haven't been dipped yet and I just checked and they are not crumbly.
Hmm they sound too dry but don't know why some are and some are not.
June 22, 2016 05:45AM
If some of you are finding them dry/crumbly then I might go and change the coconut cream to 3/4 cup and add a note that the mixture should be moist.
June 22, 2016 06:24AM
I am wondering if the grade of coconut matters i.e. fine grade and medium grade. Yours Helen look as if the coconut is a medium grade grate. If using fine grade would that make any difference? Take up more moisture perhaps?

I daren't make them, but they look lovely!
Regards,
Dawn.
June 22, 2016 08:11AM
That's my problem as well Dawn! Never mind the condensed milk ones being too delicious, these look far too delicious all by themselves. (If not more as they are less sweet.)
June 22, 2016 09:22AM
I think thats the problem. The coconut I used seems to need a lot more chewing. I had homebrand, so will try a different brand. They are a good treat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.