Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tapioca Assistance

Posted by networkn 
Tapioca Assistance
July 05, 2016 03:08AM
Hi There!

As a kid my mother used to make this awesome tapioca recipe that had golden syrup and I found a similar recipe involving lots of lemon juice and rind as well as GS. The problem is it said to boil the Tapioca till translucent, which it said would be 15 minutes. After an hour the balls were a lot more translucent but there were lots of white bits too, which were edible and soft but not translucent.

Anyone got any ideas why if it's supposed to take 10-15 minutes, it wasn't right after an hour.
Re: Tapioca Assistance
July 05, 2016 06:59AM
Networkn are you sure it was tapioca your mother used? It may have been sago ( frogs eggs we used to call them) and this was mum's sago lemon recipe and we loved it. [www.foodlovers.co.nz]

I can remember mum making sago custard and she cooked it as she did a rice milk pudding - in the oven. I'm afraid I was not so keen on sago custard and if I remember rightly I didn't like the size of the sago pearls nor the little bit of a chewy texture they had.
Regards,
Dawn.
July 05, 2016 08:23AM
While you can apparently get quick-cooking tapioca (I've never seen it, however), regular tapioca needs overnight soaking in cold water. A recipe I used to make a lot - Tapioca and Coconut Meringue pudding - requires soaking 3 tbsp tapioca in 1 cup of water. The full recipe:

3 tbsp tapioca, soaked overnight in 1 cup cold water
1 pint milk (which indicates how old the recipe is)
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp coconut
additional 1-1/2 tbsp sugar

Drain tapioca and boil it with milk until soft, ie. translucent. Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until thick then add to tapioca mixture off heat. Add coconut to tapioca mixture; stir over heat for 5 mins without boiling. Pour into a.greased ovenproof dish and top with meringue made by beating egg whites until stiff, then gradually add sugar while beating. Bake in moderate oven until meringue is set and lightly browned.
Lynne2
jj
July 05, 2016 09:05AM
It wasn't seameal custard was it?

[forum.foodlovers.co.nz]

Oops sorry, wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2016 09:09AM by jj.
July 06, 2016 02:25AM
Does anyone remember the tapioca pudding sold by the Rawleigh's man?

As a child, I used to love that stuff.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 02:27AM by Barbara Anne.
July 06, 2016 02:57AM
In response to the original post I suspect the recipe was designed to be used with sago, I remember people calling sago "tapioca" back in the 70s. Sago balls are smaller than tapioca, so would cook quicker.

I used to love sago done on the stove top with milk, similar to rice pudding, we'd have it with jam dolloped in the centre.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.