Pork Humba

Posted by J1 
J1
Pork Humba
July 16, 2017 04:33AM
Has anyone ever made Pork Humba?
Re: Pork Humba
July 16, 2017 08:53AM
I haven't heard of it so I googled it.It looks lovely.I hope someone has made it and shares their ideas.
July 18, 2017 01:33AM
Love it when I hear of something new, I had never heard of pork humba. I agree Marylew it looks delicious.
If you make it J1 then please do let us know how it is.
J1
July 18, 2017 02:18PM
Thanks, I have a sort of basic version recipe of it (no banana blossom for example....) and the black beans I may end up using are some turtle beans I have so, again, apparently not the right sort of black beans. Here's the recipe I'll probably make in the next couple of months.

[ifood.tv]
July 19, 2017 02:21AM
Recipe is for two, so 125g pork belly cooked and shrunken and 1 tbsp beans wouldn't go anywhere near filling me up. angry smiley If I was a teeny tiny Philippine it might.
J1
July 19, 2017 12:53PM
Oh the black beans are really just for the flavour I think- I'm planning on crushing them after cooking.

Not so long ago I would have been in complete assent with 125g pork belly being hardly anything for a one person serve but these days, especially in the last six months, I've really lost my appetite for any hunk of meat so even 125g might get a look of horror from me! Sometimes I can eat it if it's cut into bits rather than being presented as one hunk on my plate. I have no idea why I've gone like this - my brain has a mind of it's own and seems very happy eating a second serving of Brussels sprouts instead, whereas it looks at the meat and goes yeah nah.......... Once upon a time I'd devour four lamb shoulder chops, now I can barely be bothered with one.
DK
July 19, 2017 02:00PM
Given the small volume of 'black beans' do you think it means Chinese fermented black beans (soy beans)? They would make it lovely and salty and savoury.
J1
July 19, 2017 10:55PM
I did find a website somewhere that mentioned the black beans were "Asian" beans and not the usual ones found in European dishes (I can't find that website again now...) and that they did have a different flavour profile. Soy beans wasn't mentioned but it could be. I might have to research the black bean component a bit more.

Ah, edited to add, you're right DK. I skipped through some more pork humba recipes as well as youtube videos and the black beans get called "tausi" quite a lot, so I was able to look that up. Then I found my missing website that had talked about the beans not being your usual beans - [www.thespruce.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 11:15PM by J1.
July 22, 2017 11:34AM
It sounds really interesting and another new recipe to try so very keen to hear how you get on. A perfect dish for the wet weather we have at the moment. Im assuming its served with rice although I can imagine it with a big dollop of mashed potato too.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.