Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tandoori Chicken

Posted by Vanessa45 
Tandoori Chicken
October 01, 2017 06:57AM
I was never sure if Tandoori Chicken was the cooking method or the flavour? It seems in an ideal world its both!
I love the flavours however Ive never made it. This BBQ season, its on my list of things to do marinated and cooked in the Webber.

Does anyone make Tandoori Chicken? Any tips? Has anyone been game enough to build a Tandoor oven in their garden?

Vanessa
Re: Tandoori Chicken
October 01, 2017 07:38AM
It's called tandoori because it's cooked in a tandoor.

I make a version of tandoori chicken that I cook on the barbecue; the marinade makes the chicken very tender. It needs to be cooked quickly over very high heat. I make my own spice paste, but I have occasionally in the past used Sharwoods' Tandoori paste (you mix it with yoghurt and lemon juice, I think there's a recipe on the label) and it was very good.
October 01, 2017 10:09PM
Thanks - I never thought to try the pastes. I buy the Thai ones so I guess no different.

I do make my own curry (using curry powder) , onions and garlic and thats really really good but get a bit lazy when it requires things I dont have.

Looking at the recipe though, all I need is yoghurt and lemon juice - I think I can be creative with the other spices if Im missing one.

What makes it traditionally RED though?

Its funny how things get called Tandoori and it goes NO WHERE near a tandoor oven.

Vanessa
October 01, 2017 10:31PM
Paprika would make tandoori paste red.
D.
October 02, 2017 12:27AM
Here's an interesting article about the tandoor oven. It tells how it works and how to use it. Doesn't quite go as far as how to build one, but that can be looked up on Google, too.

[www.thekitchn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2017 12:28AM by Lorna.
October 02, 2017 10:41AM
Gotta LOVe google ;-)

Vanessa
October 02, 2017 10:40PM
I enjoyed reading about the tandoor oven Lorna, thanks for putting up the link. It's an amazing piece of equipment and I had no idea they cooked Naan bread slapped on the inside of the oven. It's only been the past 18 months or so that we have started eating proper Indian food and we are really enjoying the cooking experience as well.
Regards,
Dawn. smiling smiley
October 03, 2017 10:11PM
Like the Nann bread on the side of the tandoor oven, check this out for technique and uniqueness, its making Japanese Takoyaki (octopus balls)

[www.youtube.com]

1.35secs

Vanessa
October 04, 2017 09:25PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm! I had takoyaki balls for lunch when I visited the Eumundi Markets again last year. I love them. However, they were cooked in a takoyaki mould. Here is a page which shows all the different styles of takoyaki grills/moulds. There is quite a trick to getting the balls completely round, using chopsticks to turn them while keeping the balls whole and unbroken.

[tinyurl.com]

Also, here is an excerpt from a website giving lots of different names and uses for a similar pan. Might be interesting researching all the different names and recipes:

"Apart from the names that we know like Aebelskiver, Danish cakes, Gems, Pancake balls, Pancake Pops, Appam, Appey, Paniyaram, etc., the similar type of pan is used to serve Escargot in French cuisine!!

There is a Japanese dumpling recipe called Takoyaki which is prepared in pans similar to Aebelskiver pans.

Some other names that relates to our paniyaram are Poffertjes, Merfeilles, Krapfchen in various cuisines."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2017 09:36PM by Lorna.
October 04, 2017 10:27PM
Fascinating watching them make takoyaki balls, the chefs are so quick and nimble at turning them and the end result looks delicious. My mouth is watering!
Regards,
Dawn.
October 12, 2017 01:19PM
Theres a lady in Auckland, at a Dominion Rd cafe, who makes thousands of dumplings a day by hand for customers.
Watching the labour of foodie love would be quite something.

You have people doing things like that whilst others cant manage to put together a simple home cooked meal and rely on fast food.

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.