Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Helens shortbread

Posted by Lyn V 
Helens shortbread
December 12, 2018 04:06AM
Helen I made this yesterday & have to say it is the best I have ever made. Crunchy, buttery & quite delishery moorish. Thank you now I cannot find the recipe for the nut selection you gave the recipe out for last Saturday on air. So... help please as it sounded lovely. Thanks.
Re: Helens shortbread
December 12, 2018 08:08AM
Every Christmas I give our next door neighbour shortbread and some other baked treats. I am going to make the same recipe, Lyn V and Helen. Rice flour is on my shopping list.
December 14, 2018 02:55AM
Lyn I am so happy you enjoyed the shortbread as it is a favourite around here and I have butter softening on the bench at present as I'll make some later.

Re the nut recipes, one is in my head still (I will add it here) and is

approximately 8 cups mixed nuts, roasted Individually. I use cashews, almonds, Brazil, peanuts, walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
2 teaspoons maple syrup.
olive oil
sea salt

I add the cayenne and rosemary to the nuts as they roast - whichever batch I decide to put it with and the maple syrup I drizzle over the cashew nuts when they come out of the oven. The oil I do the same with.
Then the whole lot are tossed together and sprinkled generously with sea salt.
I give these away as gifts and always have a jar on hand to serve with drinks.

The cinnamon candied nuts are here

the other one I mentioned was a Ruth Pretty recipe for spiced nuts.
December 14, 2018 08:09PM
Thanks Helen, I didn’t have rice flour for the shortbread so used cornflour instead, just as successful. Thanks for the nuts recipes will make & put into jars for family along with the shortbread & some other goodies as they are going camping with other families so will be perfect treats.
sue
December 31, 2018 12:24AM
I made this and my husband thinks that it is the best shortbread that he has ever had and that it is the best that I have ever made.thumbs up
January 04, 2019 08:52AM
Oh Sue that is great to hear!
Please if you don't mind could you leave a wee comment on recipes you like as that then gives new readers some independent feedback as to whether they should try a recipe or not.

thanks!
January 04, 2019 10:45AM
I was given this recipe on the back of an envelope so long ago I can't remember when!

It definitely brings lots of “yums” and sighs when people eat it.

So great for gift giving and people barter with me for a batch of it - haven't bought a high end magazine in years as one friend swaps 3 monthly magazines for shortbread - we both think we are on a win win!

Thanks Helen for sharing it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.