Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rice vinegar for sushi

Posted by Kayc 
Rice vinegar for sushi
January 30, 2019 12:12AM
I have found an unopened bottle of Uchibori Rice Vinegar with a best before date 17.1.12 lurking in the pantry, would this be safe to use? The ingredients label says it contains water, rice, alcohol.
Re: Rice vinegar for sushi
January 30, 2019 05:36AM
Kaye I can remember coming across a bottle of rice vinegar at the back of the pantry cupboard which was well beyond it's use-by date. I already had a current bottle in use in the cupboard and when I looked at the colour of the old compared to the more recent bottle the old bottle's contents was a yellowing in colour and the fresh bottle was clear. So I tossed the dated bottle out. Hope this helps. smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
January 30, 2019 06:44AM
Thanks Dawn, I had purchased a new bottle before I realised I had the old one. They are the same brand and the old bottle is only very slightly darker than the new one which isn't clear either.
January 30, 2019 08:55PM
I would open and taste it, if it still tastes good I sure it will be fine. You have the new bottle to compare the taste to if you're not sure. I'm certain I've had other vinegar's like malt sitting in the pantry for years and still used them (wouldn't have even looked for a use by), also just look and check it is still clear without sediment.
Having said that I am notoriously blase about that sort of thing and consider use by dates as a guide linewinking smiley
January 30, 2019 10:13PM
Do bear in mind that sediment in vinegar is normal and not a sign of being unfit for use!

Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

[www.thekitchn.com]
January 30, 2019 11:03PM
There you gosmiling smiley Should be good
January 31, 2019 02:10AM
Thanks for your help, I have used it and we are all still here :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.