Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Favourite Lamb Shank recipes please

Posted by Danube 
Favourite Lamb Shank recipes please
June 30, 2019 03:44AM
What are your favourite lamb shank recipes (and accompaniments) please. Its that time of the year again and I'm thinking about slow cooked food.
Re: Favourite Lamb Shank recipes please
June 30, 2019 05:36AM
My favourite is Chelsea Winter's Utterly Glorious Lamb Shanks (easy to find by Googling) - simple but always good. They can be cooked either in a slow cooker or the oven - I think that lamb shanks are one thing that a slow cooker does well, although I appreciate that some people don't like the texture of meat cooked that way.

I serve with potato or kumara mash (or sometimes a mix of both), and a green veg, usually peas, beans or broccoli.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
J1
June 30, 2019 08:57AM
Lamb Shank Curry
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup (125g) rogan josh curry paste*
4 lamb shanks
2 cups (500ml) water + 2 cups beef stock or water
400g can chopped tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes or 4 tbspns tomato paste
1 tspn sugar
400g cauliflower, chopped
400g pumpkin, chopped
¾ cup (150g) red lentils
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander leaves

Cook onion & garlic in large pan, stirring, until soft. Add curry paste, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add water/stock, lamb shanks, undrained crushed tomatoes and sugar, bring to boil then simmer, covered, for 1½ hours (top up water when necessary). Add cauliflower & pumpkin, simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in lentils, simmer, covered for about 10 minutes or until they’re tender. Stir in coriander & salt to taste. Serve.
* You can use (for example) Patak's curry paste or make your own (which I do) using Jamie Oliver's rogan josh recipe (I omit the "jarred roasted peppers" ) - [www.jamieoliver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 08:58AM by J1.
June 30, 2019 11:13PM
I either make them in the usual kind of casserole way - gently cook onion, garlic, carrot, celery in a casserole. Brown lamb shanks and add to this along with stock, oregano and a can of tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.

This Massaman Lamb Curry is delicious and the curry paste easily bought at the supermarket.
[www.foodlovers.co.nz]
July 01, 2019 02:08AM
Oh and this has reminded me - Lamb Shanks with Mint and Peas is so delicious. I know minted peas with lamb is ages old but this is really good.
July 01, 2019 02:15AM
Lamb Shanks with Figs & Walnuts

Serve 4

4 lamb shanks
2 tab olive oil
salt & pepper
2 large onions sliced into thick discs
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
3 sticks cassia or cinnamon
4 strips orange zest
10 semi-dried figs
12 walnut halves
mint

Salt & pepper lamb and brown in oil in casserole. Remove, lay onion slices in pan, replace lamb. Sprinkle spices and orange on top. Add 500ml water. Bring to a simmer, put in 180C oven 1 ½ hours.

Check liquid, add figs and walnuts. Cook a further 1 ½ hours until very tender Strew with mint..

Serve with cous cous, rice or flat bread.
July 02, 2019 06:43AM
I have made the following recipe a few times. I think it is a Peter Gordon recipe which I saved from a magazine.
Lamb Shanks with Tamarind

6 lamb shanks
50 ml sesame oil
3 red onions, quartered
10 cloves garlic, peeled
300 ml red wine
3 grated carrots
150 ml tamarind concentrate
10 cm sprig rosemary
2 red chilli (sliced, plus seeds)
100 mI balsamic vinegar
50 m1 soy sauce
Meat stock (enough to cover lamb)
250 gm pitted dates, chopped.
Bake lamb shanks 220°C for 20 minutes. Drain off fat and place into casserole dish.
Put oil into frypan, add onions, whole garlic, and sauté 3 minutes. Add red wine, bring to boil and pour over lamb.
Add all other ingredients, except dates.
Cook 2 hours at 170°C. Add dates and cook for further 20 minutes,

Served with mashed potatoes and greens in season.

Similar recipe at : [www.abc.net.au]
J1
August 06, 2019 10:04AM
If you cook Chelsea Winter's Utterly Glorious Lamb Shanks ( [chelseawinter.co.nz] ) as Barbara Anne suggests above, you get left with about 4 cups of deliciously flavoured vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, garlic, tomatoes, herbs) because the instruction is to strain them from the cooking liquid and discard them ("unless you want to eat them" ). We don't really discard things like that (so wasteful...) so something you can do with them another night is turn them into a pasta sauce by adding 500g beef mince (browned), 4 tbspns tomato paste, 1 cup of water, salt to taste. Tastier than the lamb shanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 10:04AM by J1.
August 06, 2019 12:49PM
Good idea, J1. However I should have added that I leave the veg in and serve as is - chunky and rustic. Like you, I wouldn't dream of simply discarding them.

I guess you could also blend everything together if you wanted the sauce to be smoother.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.