Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Muffins

Posted by Michele 
Muffins
January 29, 2004 03:48AM
As these always seem to be popular, especially with school back, I thought I'd start a thread for these. What are people's favourites. Mine would be blueberry, also raspberry and white choc. Still looking for a nice moist bran recipe, if anyone has one. Do many people make savoury, I very rarely do, although I do make A Holst's Pizza ones every now and then and they are really nice. Always looking for new recipes if anyone wants to share some.
Bev
Re: Muffins
January 29, 2004 03:51AM
Alison Holst's muffin book has a lovely recipe for Date and Yoghurt muffins. They are lovely and moistsmiling smiley
January 29, 2004 04:13AM
We love for Sat lunch the ham(or bacon), avocado and spring onion ones as they have a good mustardy flavour to them. I use Stephanies Seedy mustard in them and the kids (24 & 23) love them with cheese and a ham slice in them. Consequently, they only get made when they come home now.
Have a lovely banana bran one that is very moist and easy!!!! to eat, but they are healthy ones and in A. Holsts book.

Helen C.B.
January 29, 2004 04:19AM
I have a lovely mashed banana and yoghurt one if you are interested. Let me know and I'll send it to you

Regards Raewyn

January 29, 2004 04:29AM
Yes please Raewyn. Cheers
January 29, 2004 05:50AM
McCafe has a lovely carrot, bran and walnut muffin so if any one has a recipe for something similar I would really love it. My kids love Crunchy lemon muffins It is a also an Alison Holst recipe and I quiet often get up early and make a batch for the kids. Also I make chocolate and peach muffins which the kids like. But I too would like a really nice bran muffin so if anyone has a recipe please send it to me.

Rae
January 29, 2004 05:59AM
We had some blueberries with our dessert tonight and with the ones leftover I plan to make muffins. Will any plain muffin recipe do or is there a nicer one our there??
LP
January 29, 2004 06:04AM
There is a good and wholesome bran muffin recipe on the back of the packet of bran that you get from the supermarket.
January 29, 2004 10:46PM
mums muffin recipes are posted in an older thread. they are very moist and yummy and have greek yoghurt in them. They keep very well and make lovelly cream cheese muffins, blueberry, chocolate or whatever flavour you can think of. Mums favourite were Rhubarb and apple with demuera sugar sprinkled on top.
kind Regards
lisa
Joy
January 30, 2004 01:49AM
I make orange ones some times.You use a whole orange skin and all.They are tasty.Just now I have blackberries and I am using them instead of blue berries,with a little grated apple and brown sugar in my muffins.
January 30, 2004 04:33AM
Hi Raewyn
Would also like your muffin recipe if poss.
Thanks - Betty
January 30, 2004 06:10AM
Raewyn, could I please have your banana muffin recipe too. Thanks
January 30, 2004 07:51AM
Have got a great bulk Bran Muffin recipe that can be kept in the fridge and you just cook'em as you need'em, they keep a couple of weeks. They are yummy for breakfast and the beauty is you can have them fresh and hot out of the oven really quickly. Happy to share if anyone wants it.:-o
Pam
January 30, 2004 08:54AM
Could I please have the recipe Kaye.
Thank you

Pam
January 30, 2004 09:41AM
Hi Kaye C ,
Could I please have your bulk bran muffin receipe please.
Thank you
January 30, 2004 09:47AM
Yes pleas KayeC I would love them,my granchildren love muffins & this way I can give them to them fresh when they come
January 30, 2004 09:58AM
I made the muffin recipe off the packet of baking bran and added the carrot and walnuts and they were really beautiful. Then my budding chef thought appled added would be even better so that is tomorrow's baking.
Thanks LP for letting me know where to find a good recipe. and easy with it.

Rae
January 31, 2004 01:28AM
Bulk Bran Muffins

I have checked with the person that gave me the recipe and she has assured me that it came from a community cookbook so guess we are not breaching any copyright.

1 breakfast cup sugar
1/2 cup of butter
2 beaten eggs
1 cup bran flakes (baking bran not the cereal)
2 cups All Bran (cereal)
3/4 cup sultanas
1 cup boiling water
2 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 cups Buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinamon
1 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar, add beaten eggs, stir in cereals, add sultanas and boling water.Combine buttermilk and baking soda, add. Add flour, cinamon and salt. Let mixture stand for at least an hour before using. Bake in muffin tins at 200 C for 12 - 15 mins. Will keep in fridge for up to 5 weeks.

This was given to me by a cousin, and brings back memories of when I stayed with her as a teenager waking of a morning to the smell of these cooking along with fresh percolated coffee. Hmmmm wonderful.

Enjoy

KC winking smileywinking smileywinking smiley
sharon
March 29, 2004 12:40PM
Hi Kaye C, I have no butter milk, will it make a difference if i use ordinary milk.???
Thanks
Lyn
March 29, 2004 09:45PM
I bought the Simple Deli Food recipe book yesterday by Julie Le Clerc & saw some yummy muffins in there using small squares of Turkish Delight. My DH is a turkish delight fan, so they will be nice to try this weekend.
Lyn
sue
March 29, 2004 10:25PM
I have a lovely moist bran muffin recipe ... the secret is the amount of golden syrup in them

Moist Bran Muffins

2 cups bran
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
Mix together.
Mix in separate bowl:
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup golden syrup
Warm 1 cup milk and add 1 tsp baking soda.
Add the syrup and milk mixtures to the dry ingredients.
Combine until just mixed.
Bake in greased patty tins at 200 for 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!
Elaine E
March 29, 2004 11:42PM
Hi Sharon,
You can use sour cream, yogurt or sour milk instead of buttermilk. Just add a tbspn lemon juice to a cup of fresh milk to sour it.
Hope this helps, Elaine winking smiley
March 30, 2004 12:22AM
Alison Holst has a lovely Bran muffin recipe, if you don't have it i can post it for you if you like Michelle also those muffins you were taking about the raspberry and white choc sound devine do you have a recipe for them.

grinning smiley
March 30, 2004 06:35AM
This is a bran muffin recipe I keep in the fridge (up to a month) and cook in the microwave as needed so always fresh. I usually do a couple for morning tea and we never get sick of them.
3/4 cup water, 1-1/4 cups bran, 1/4 cup oil (I use Canola), 1 egg, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 150 g yoghurt, 1-1/4 cups flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons mixed spice (or one each of cinnamon and mixed spice), 1/2 cup sultanas (optional)
Heat water in microwave bowl for approximately 2 minutes. Add bran and oil and stir. Add beaten egg and sugar. Add yoghurt. Sift dry ingredients and add, blending until just mixed. Leave in fridge until required. Spoon into microwave muffin tray and cook approximately 55 seconds per muffin. These are great when someone pops in unexpectedly. Within 15 - 20 minutes you can be having a cuppa with fresh muffins. Also usually have a tray of the following in the freezer and it thaws fairly quickly as it is not a thick slice. Melt 4 ozs butter, added 3/4 cup coconut, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 large teaspoons cocoa. Press into tin and bake 25 minutes (approx) at 180C. Ice while hot with 1 oz butter, 3/4 cup coconut, 1 cup icing sugar, 2 teaspoons cocoa, vanilla essence, milk to mix to spreading consistency. Very quick and easy. Enjoy. winking smiley:p

March 31, 2004 12:52AM
Mary

Could you also cook this bran muffin recipe in the oven?
March 31, 2004 05:01AM
Have never tried it Angela as the microwave is so quick but don't know why not. If you don't have any microwave patty pans just put two or three muffin paper cups together and that will be fine. Let's know if you try them in the oven how they turn out. Will be interested.?:-(:/smiling smiley
Rhubarb Muffins
May 08, 2004 08:34PM
The rhubarb is poppin in my backyard, and I'd love to find a good muffin receipe to use a little of it.

Hungrily,

Jim
May 10, 2004 01:06AM
Jim,
This recipe is very nice with Rhubarb and apple.
Please note this is a cafe recipe so you will want to do the 3/4 or 1/4 mix underneath

Sweet Muffin Mix
Wet
12 oz Margarine
12 oz Sugar
500 grams Yoghurt
1 C Milk
1 tspn Baking Soda
5 Eggs
1tspn Vanilla Essence

Dry
6 C Plain Flour
9 tspns Baking Powder
½ tspn Salt

Method
Cream butter and sugar; add eggs one by one and vanilla essence. Heat yoghurt and milk for approximately four minutes. When heated add baking soda and stir (watch out it does a little volcanic eruption type thing, so make sure you have it in something it can rise in and not spill over). Put all wet ingredients with dry and fold well.

This mix can be used for all sweet muffins
Blueberry – just add required amount of blueberries
Blueberry and apple – just add blueberries and diced apple and put cinnamon and castor sugar on top
Apple cinnamon and raisin – just add diced apple, tspn of cinnamon ¼ tspn of mixed spice, required amount of apple and raisins. Place two slithers of fresh apple on top to decorate.
Cream Cheese – Place mix in tins in oven for about 15 mins. Remove and place about a tspn of cream cheese on mix and about tspn of fruit patisserie on top.
Unlimited flavours just make it up.

¾ Mix
9 oz Margarine
9 oz Sugar
375 grams Yoghurt
¾ C Milk
¾ tspn Baking soda
4 Eggs
¾ tspn Vanilla Essence
4 ½ C Plain Flour
Pinch Salt
7 tspns Baking Powder

Method
Same as full mix

¼ Mix
3 oz Margarine
3 oz Sugar
125 grams Yoghurt
¼ C Milk
¼ tspn Baking Soda
2 Eggs
¼ tspn Vanilla Essence

The quarter mix is about 6 muffins if i remember right
Nellie
May 11, 2004 04:11AM
Mary, I have just made your muffins and I can thoroughly recommend them. Didn't have any paper patty liners so used squares of baking paper instead. Took them out of the paper so as to stop sweating after they were cooked. Also my microwave is 1100 watts so it took 1.20 mins to cook two. Cheers.
Would love raspberry and white chocolate muffin recipe if possible
margaret
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.