Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

cooking older roasting chickens in pressure cooker

Posted by Andrew 
cooking older roasting chickens in pressure cooker
February 26, 2011 08:07AM
Hi all.
as per the subject title, is this at all possible? if so, what is the best way to go about cooking them and how long for? Ie, should I cover the chicken with water or only put a cup or two in the bottom of the pot? any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Re: cooking older roasting chickens in pressure cooker
February 26, 2011 11:43AM
If you have a slow cooker/crock pot........that is the way to go.add the veggies and potatoes together with a can of tomatoes and some herbs and spices and you have a very nice tasty meal.
February 26, 2011 07:17PM
Yes, Andrew, you can pressure cook an older chicken. They do come out looking pale and anaemic, though, so it's best to brown the chicken first if it's to be served whole. If your cooker has a rack or trivet, put that in the bottom and add a minimal amount of water; the chook will release lots of juices which you don't want to water down too much as this will make the gravy. I assume you have the instructions for your particular pressure cooker, but try cooking the chook for about 30 minutes then release the pressure and test for doneness. If not quite done, you can repressurise and cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes.
February 26, 2011 10:12PM
hi Lorna.
Thank you so much for your reply. Actually, i'm hoping to pressure cook the chook, then pop it into my Easycook convection oven to brown it up afterwards. i'm very new to the pressure cooker, having only purchased it a couple of weeks ago. It's a Tefal electric model and so far I really like it. i'm assuming i'd use the higher pressure setting? My machine only has low and high pressure. I hope you are well and it's great to hear from you again.
cheers
February 27, 2011 09:39PM
Hi Andrew
I've tried looking up Tefal Pressure Cookers on Google to find the manual but I can't find one for an electric pressure cooker. Does it have it's own power supply? What is the model name of your cooker? Without knowing how your pressure cooker works, I can't give you any more precise help regarding quantities and times. Each brand and model is slightly different. I do think you're very brave cooking with a pressure cooker; they scare the living daylights out of me. I had an SEB a long time ago but gave it to my son. Mind you, I'm the same with gas barbeques. Irrational maybe, but that's the way I am!
February 28, 2011 08:34PM
Lorna I,too, have a fear of pressure cookers. I am not afraid of gas BBQ but I am terrified of coffee machines- the pressure they contain is huge!
February 28, 2011 11:37PM
hi lorna. i understand my pressure cooker cannot explode. However, i'm still very careful of it. The machine i have is a tefal Minut Cook. It's sold in the UK under the jamie Oliver name. as it turned out, the chook i had had pressure cooker instructions on the bag. It had to cook at high pressure for an hour and a half. This produced a beautifully tender chook, but it was too rady to fall apart to brown it up afterwards. The chook was known as a table hen, and was actually one which had stopped laying. i didn't realize that when I bought it, thinking it was just an older roasting chook.
Cheers
March 01, 2011 08:10PM
Well done Andrew; I'm sure your chicken would have been delicious, browned or not.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.