Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Garlic Sauce

Posted by helen 
Garlic Sauce
February 22, 2012 02:31AM
I was given this recipe on Radio Live last weekend and thought it sounded great - anyone make this already?
I plan to make it on Friday.

Garlic Sauce

2kg granny smith apples
1 kg brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1kg treacle
1 gallon vinegar
1 kg onions, chopped
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons chilli powder
500g garlic, chopped

Place all ingredients into a large saucepan and boil for 2 hours.
Bottle and seal.
Re: Garlic Sauce
February 22, 2012 07:48AM
I think this is a recipe I used to make some years ago. It came from one of those small local recipe books. There was a reference to the West Coast in the title. It is very yummy and well worth making.
February 22, 2012 08:22AM
Looks super delicious, how much does it make?

[lingerieheaven.co.nz]
Because life is special, not just February 14.

[blog.lingerieheaven.co.nz]

Great way to use up tomatoes (and darn handy)

Eat well, live well, dress well.
February 22, 2012 08:39AM
It sounds powerful! 2 tablespoons of ground cloves? I look forward to a review when you've made it, Helen. Although it's probably one of those recipes which should be 'cellared' for months before tasting.
February 22, 2012 09:49AM
Yes I did think the cloves sounded way too much and already had planned to reduce it. I couldn't cope with that intensity of clove flavour.
February 22, 2012 12:27PM
Im pretty sure this is the recipe that JeanT uses.

It is amazing sauce.... make it, you wont regret it.
February 22, 2012 12:28PM
I do have a question though, How much is a gallon in litres?
J1
February 22, 2012 08:43PM
1 US gallon is 3.785 litres. 1 UK gallon is 4.546 litres.

Relative to the rest of the ingredients, I suppose the 1kg of brown sugar and 1kg of treacle is comparative(?) but added to the fructose in the apples, that's still a lot of sugar. But then again, we have sweet chilli sauce and tomato sauce and....hoisin sauce, all based on lots of sugar.
February 23, 2012 03:41AM
oh my goodness, which amount would you use? 4 litres to make it semi even??
February 23, 2012 05:53AM
It is called Garlic Sauce but no garlic in it. What would you use it for?
February 23, 2012 06:44AM
The sauce I make is 450gm brown sugar to 2.4L vinegar and 10gm cloves (I'm not a fan of cloves and that weight seems fine). Plus of course other ingredients. For those who have never made this type of sauce, it is a fairly thin steak-type sauce (consistency of Worcestershire Sauce). Some recipes even have half a bottle of WS added at the end.
February 23, 2012 09:58AM
Lyn V - look again, there is 500gms of garlic in it.
February 24, 2012 01:40AM
I've been cooking in NZ since well before metrics, the British gallon was standard, 4.5 litres is near enough.
February 24, 2012 03:55AM
It has 500g of garlic (at the bottom of the recipe ingredients list)
February 25, 2012 01:47AM
yes I am interested in this recipe but would like to hear from someone who has made it especially with that amount of Cloves and no Garlic!!
February 25, 2012 06:20AM
I am perplexed why people think it hasn't got any garlic when it has 500g....
Maybe it is because it is the last ingredient listed that it gets overlooked.
Granny Smith apples are around $5kg at present and I assume that is because they are last years as they don't come in until April do they?
February 28, 2012 04:38AM
Excuse my ignorance but could people please give me some ideas what you would do with this sauce? Thanks smiling smiley
February 28, 2012 08:49AM
Pour it on cooked steak, add to casseroles, on top of sushi (instead of soy sauce or wasabi), a dash or two into a bowl of soup.
February 28, 2012 09:28AM
From what I've read of the recipe I wonder if it's not dissimilar to Worstershire Sauce. If so, maybe use in a similar way to W/Sauce.
Regards,
Dawn.
March 01, 2012 04:34AM
Garlic sauce is finally simmering on my stove top while I merrily (I wish) clean out the pantry!
will report back shortly
March 01, 2012 05:34AM
Eye-watering smell I should think. But I expect your extractor is super efficient (like you).
March 01, 2012 10:13AM
Oh Stephanie that is so funny you should stay that as the vinegar in the air has been so thick all afternoon that they kids have been horrified that anyone could eat what I was making.
I didn't think the house smelt of garlic although Jemima (8) walked in and commented on where was all that garlic.
Sauce is tomato sauce like in consistency and worchester sauce like in flavour.... I think it would be good on sausages or perhaps steak or a pie.
March 01, 2012 07:45PM
Is it a recipe you'd make again without any changes Helen?
Regards,
Dawn.
March 01, 2012 10:03PM
I think it tastes as it should but it is not something that I would eat. It just doesn't really appeal to what I like eating but then again I could have a bottle of worcestershire sauce in the cupboard for years....
March 20, 2012 11:22PM
made garlic sauce last week it is very yummy I think it will get better with age as most sauce's or chutneys do
Jo
August 13, 2012 04:50AM
I made Garlic & Treacle Sauce from Pick Preserve Serve (Chris Fortune). I don't have a copy of the recipe at hand but it sounds quite similar. I use it in any recipe that calls for W sauce. It is also really good on a baked potato with bacon, fresh tomato, tasty cheese and a little bit of sour cream.

www.sevengreenapples.com
August 19, 2012 05:11AM
If anyone in Auckland made some and wants to sell me a jar, I'd be keen, I just don't have time to make it smiling smiley
September 28, 2012 05:01AM
I have always loved garlic sauce on pastas and elswhere, just as long as it compliments them.

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.