Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Can openers - any recommendations?

Posted by GarethB 
Can openers - any recommendations?
July 14, 2014 06:56AM
Looking for the hand operated (not electric) type if you know a good one?

TIA
Gareth
Re: Can openers - any recommendations?
July 14, 2014 07:53AM
I've used this style for a great number of years now. I like how it splits the seal and doesn't shred metal into the contents nor does it leave any sharp edges.

[www.livingandgiving.co.nz]

$40 seems a lot, but I've seen them at discount outlets (Sunny's Discount House in Browns Bay, Auckland, specifically) for about half the price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 07:54AM by Jenna.
July 14, 2014 09:38AM
I've had a Magican for over 20 years and it still works as well as the day I bought it. [www.stevens.co.nz] It cuts the whole lid off cleanly (under the outer rim of the can) and is very easy on the hands.
Lynne2
July 14, 2014 09:56AM
I have a Tupperware can opener and like Jenna's one it splits the seal and doesn't cut the tin. It is very good and cost a lot more than you pay for them in shops now.
Regards,
Dawn.
July 15, 2014 07:12AM
A little off topic, but has anyone tried opening a can of Delmain Tomatoes with a Sunbeam electric opener? My Sunbeam just would not do it. Not sure if the rim of Delmains is fractionally higher or lower than normal, so I emailed the NZ importer, but you guessed right, no reply.

I did manage to get the can open, with difficulty, using a key opener, but it is a very poorly designed can opener: there's a little gadget that sticks out to the side right in front of the key and I'm always afraid of the opener slipping, catching my thumbnail as I twist the key, and ripping my nail off. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm very wary. Here's a pic of it, [tinyurl.com] . I don't know why I don't just can it (pun intended smiling bouncing smiley) and buy another manual one. I keep this manual one in my box of emergency supplies, ready for the day I have to evacuate due to pending tsunami, and during power cuts at dinnertime. I'll never starve, that's for sure!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 07:17AM by Lorna.
July 18, 2014 03:59AM
Thank you - I'll keep an eye out for these!
July 18, 2014 04:44AM
We had a run of bad ones. I just looked at our last purchased one which was a Brabantia. - knock on wood (ouch that hurt my head) it has been really great and we have had it for close to 8 years now.
July 18, 2014 07:29AM
I have one of the Tupperware ones too - I find it pretty good, but the occasional tin I have trouble opening with it - things like canned fish with slanted sides. I like that it leaves no sharp edges though.
July 18, 2014 07:31AM
Oh, and I meant to say I got it after having wrist problems a few years ago, and it was a huge improvement on my last opener for that!
July 18, 2014 09:52AM
Lynne2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've had a Magican for over 20 years and it still
> works as well as the day I bought it.
> [www.stevens.co.nz]
> r/?p=5778438 It cuts the whole lid off cleanly
> (under the outer rim of the can) and is very easy
> on the hands.
> Lynne2

I had one of those for many years - but definitely not 20yrs! - and one of my handles snapped in half. I was DEVASTATED!! Searched everywhere online and couldn't find one. Ended up with an Oxo one (http://www.stevens.co.nz/product/Oxo-Good-Grips-Smooth-Edge-Can-Opener?p=5835004) which is fab but did take forever to understand that you had to use the "parrot teeth(?)" to take the lid off after splitting the can. It is a lot dearer than the good old Magican but I am happy with it. It the Oxo one did break, I would definitely have a Magican Opener any day.
smiling smileyRe: Can openers - any recommendations?
July 20, 2014 02:33AM
I gave up with electric ones and went back t the good old hand openers years ago.Having OOS in my hands I chose a Leifheit (For special people) smiling smiley Its brilliant and it feels like cutting through butter.Slightly angled upwards and a big knob turner.
I even opens odd tins such as sardines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 02:34AM by Lesley B.
August 21, 2014 11:57AM
Is this the Magican opener that is being recommended? Our present one, Goodgrips, is giving up the ghost.

[www.stevens.co.nz]
August 22, 2014 12:25AM
Assuming the name MagiCan is patented this is the same brand as my 20yr old opener (mine doesn't mention 'Culinare'). The design has been brought into the 21st century with a rounder profile but the mechanism is the same. This youtube piece shows how it works: [www.youtube.com] (Warning: both the demonstrator and the music are a bit loud.)
The one caveat I have is that it's no good for cans with a higher than standard rim, eg. mine won't open the large square tins of anchovies which are made of a heavier metal, but since I only buy one of those a year I don't find it a serious problem - I just dig out a 'manual' opener and patiently lever away at it.
Googling for NZ sites brings up quite a few hits and prices range from $19.99 at Stevens through to $26 at TastetheKitchenShop. The Kitchen Shop (different stockist) states it's the world's best selling can opener.
Lynne2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 12:58AM by Lynne2.
August 22, 2014 12:49AM
Thanks Lynne, that's very helpful. As most of the tins I need to open are the heavy ones that contain anchovies or olives maybe the Magican isn't what I need.
August 22, 2014 01:22AM
It's not so much the density of the metal but the height of the rim that has a bearing on function. The mechanism consists of a cutting blade and a cog which are a fixed distance apart, ie. that of a standard can rim. If the rim is any deeper (which can be the case in those made of a heavier metal) the cutting blade won't reach the body of the can to remove the lid.
Lynne2
August 22, 2014 01:54AM
I use this one, I found it at The Gourmet Trader, Gate Pa, Tauranga. It suits my needs.

[www.qualityknives.co.nz]
August 29, 2014 07:27AM
Marnie, that Orbi one is excellent and does not leave a sharp metal edge. not sure how easy if you were terribly arthritic, but much the same as any other opener to work.
August 29, 2014 09:18AM
Hi Maryloo, I am not arthritic but my wrists and hands are not strong as they once were (probably after years off playing racquet sports and computer work)I find the Orbi is easy for me to use.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.