Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

thickening relishes etc

Posted by Sue 
Sue
thickening relishes etc
January 02, 2002 12:28AM
I have a problem thickening relishes, pickles etc at the end of cooking.
I have tried using both flour and cornflour, but still find that it "cooks" into little white lumps when added to the hot relish.
I mix it into a paste with cold water before adding it, but have also tried adding some hot liquid to the flour or cornflour paste before adding to the relish/pickle mixture. Still the little white lumps.
Any help or suggestions most welcome.
Thanks Sue
Re: thickening relishes etc
January 02, 2002 04:35AM
Sue
Take the relish off the hot element and stir in cornflour/water. Stir till thickened and then put back on element to cook for one minute

cornflour only needs to be cooked for a very short time
January 13, 2002 11:17PM
i mix cornflour with a little white vinegar in a shaker, then mix into relish with a hand held stab mixer . it works well.
January 13, 2002 11:20PM
i mix cornflour with a little white vinegar in a shaker, then mix into relish with a hand held stab mixer . it works well.
Lyn
May 17, 2002 08:46AM
Hi Sue
This reply is probably a lillte late, but----- with late autumn upon us there are heaps of wonderful things to make into relishes, pickles and chutneys.
Firstly, cornflour will always give a nice clear finish to your preserves, whereas flour can leave them a bit cloudy.
Make sure your cornflour mix is thin enough, even if you have to add a little of the cooled liquid of your particular sauce/chutney to achieve this, it is important. Always add off the heat, then , with cornflour, cook just enough to desired consistency. One of cornflours downfalls is that it will revert the food you are cooking back to the pre cornflour state if heated too long!!! ( Flour does not do that)

Best of luck

Lyn
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.