Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Message to Carolyn re quinces

Posted by Diana 
Message to Carolyn re quinces
April 21, 2004 07:33AM
Hi Carolyn
Wondered if you would mind sharing your microwave recipes (in a little more detail) for your quince paste & jelly. I have a laden tree and would love to make these. Tried to email direct via quince thread, but you name/email was not highlighted? Not sure why that is - Elaine's was the same - any ideas why?
Thanks in advance
Diana
I'd be happy to share the recipes. They make both quince paste and quince jelly from the same batch of quinces, using the microwave for both to avoid all that stirring and spitting.

QUINCE PASTE AND JELLY

Wash fur off quinces, fit as many as you can into a large saucepan and cover with water. Boil for three hours. Remove quinces from saucepan - don't throw out the liquid! - let cool a bit so you don't burn your fingers and peel quinces and remove cores. Puree quince pulp, weigh it and add sugar (most often used is a 1:1 ratio of sugar to pulp, but I find 3/4 sugar:1 pulp is less sweet and sets just as well). Microwave on half power for about forty minutes (assuming you started with four quinces: adjust as necessary for more or fewer), stirring about every 10 minutes. Paste is ready when a wooden spoon pulled across the bottom of the bowl leaves a clear path behind it. Pour into a flat tray lined with baking paper to a depth of about 2 cm. Dry in sun or in a low oven, preferably for several days, and cut and store in a container between sheets of baking paper.

For the jelly, strain the cooking liquid if necessary and add sugar in a 1:1 ration and the juice of a lemon. Microwave on high power for approximately 15-20 minutes, stirring every five minutes or so, until a small amount on a cold saucer forms a skin. Pour into sterilised jars.
Re: Message to Carolyn re quinces
April 01, 2009 12:12AM
I am at the moment making apple quince jelly. If you want the recipe just let me know and I will post it. By that time I will know if the recipe is any good or not.
Re: Message to Carolyn re quinces
April 03, 2010 06:29AM
Thanks heaps for posting your recipe Carolyn!

I made the quince jelly part last night (the cooled quinces are awaiting their fate in the fridge) and found that after 3 hours of boiling there was very little liquid left for the jelly even though I covered the pot while boiling. I used 7 quinces and have ended up with about 1 1/2 cups of quince jelly. Is that the usual yield?

Also what oven temperature should the quince paste be dried at? 75 oC for several days? Or do you think would 120 oC for a day work?

Thanks heaps!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.