Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Easter egg overload - any other uses?

Posted by IngridO 
Easter egg overload - any other uses?
March 31, 2016 02:23AM
Does anyone have good suggestions for making use of an abundance of Easter eggs! and turning them into something else?

I thought about turning a few eggs into chocolate icing for my daughters birthday cake but I'm unsure what will happen if I melt them?

They are just cheapie dairy milk eggs

Are other suggestions (other than eating them, which of course I am doing!!!)
Re: Easter egg overload - any other uses?
March 31, 2016 03:17AM
Freeze them!! Then you can have a sneaky egg or so during the year. Or if you aren't sure how they will be for an icing, why not make your usual icing and then chop up the egg(s) finely to decorate the top
March 31, 2016 05:54AM
Cheap chocolate? Chuck it out, not worth keeping/eating/the calories.
March 31, 2016 06:31AM
Griz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheap chocolate? Chuck it out, not worth
> keeping/eating/the calories.

Seconded.
March 31, 2016 06:52AM
Whilst I agree in some ways with the statements re chucking it out... unfortunately some families may have no choice but to purchase only what their budget allows
March 31, 2016 08:55AM
if its plain chocolate, why not just make some truffles or some baking that involves using plain chocolate.

Make your own choc chips and make biscuits
March 31, 2016 11:38AM
I'm sure there are families where the only option is to purchase cheap chocolate, however most of them don't have the problem of what to do with leftovers. Give me one, small, quality egg over dozens of large cheap eggs anytime (and yes, I did adhere to this with my children when they were younger).
April 01, 2016 12:24PM
I agree GRIZ, I would prefer a small quality egg over dozens of cheap eggs too, however this year we seem to get inundated with eggs from the in laws who were visiting and also the grandparents, and I hate to waste things.

I smashed one egg up into little bits tonight and crumbled it over my daughters birthday cake. I also added all the small eggs (about 12 small eggs that came with the big egg!!!) into party bags for the birthday guests, so I've managed to get rid of some.

Great idea to use in cookies like chocolate chips.

I never thought to freeze them Irene - Does chocolate freeze well?
April 01, 2016 09:50PM
I just made a bag of left over Halloween JUNK and offered it to the teachers at my school for class briber. It was snapped up within seconds. I felt BAD passing on rubbish I didnt want my kids to eat but throwing out seemed wasteful.
Ill do the same if there are Easter things leftover HOWEVER the calibre of quality in the Easter things is MUCH better than the Halloween junk!

I did use some eggs in a chocolate butter cream icing - it was really good, quite fudgy. I just melted the eggs and butter, added icing sugar and a bit of water. I added some cocoa to give it a darker colour. The kids at daycare demolished them!

Vanessa
April 03, 2016 02:20AM
IngridO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I never thought to freeze them Irene - Does
> chocolate freeze well?

Ingrid, I often have home made chocolate truffles in the freezer. Great as a standby and they defrost extremely quickly. So I can't see why easter eggs can't be frozen? Not sure about marshmallow ones however smiling smiley
April 03, 2016 02:53AM
The marshmallow ones freeze just fine.. my husband doesn't eat a lot of treat food, but he does enjoy those marshmallow eggs. I buy several bags at Easter and throw them in the deep freeze for him to peck at during the year. I think their texture is greatly improved when they're frozen too, not quite so squishy smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.