Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Ripening Avocados

Posted by IngridO 
Ripening Avocados
May 02, 2016 02:40AM
This is a little bit of work - but I never seem to buy avocados at the perfect time - they are usually too hard, or too soft

Anyone tried this technique?

Wrap avocado in foil and place in the oven for 10 min
Re: Ripening Avocados
May 02, 2016 03:21AM
No I haven't but did read about this recently. It doesn't really appeal to me - I'd probably cook it. I wonder if it has less of a flavour doing it this way?
Regards,
Dawn.
May 03, 2016 12:10PM
I try to buy mine as green as possible as it seems to avoid the over zealous squeezing they sometimes suffer from. I buy two or three a week so I have a constant supply, and test them with a skewer in where the stem has been. Not always easy to remember to "catch" them at the right time though! Janet
May 04, 2016 09:10AM
I saw that on Facebook too, warm avocado doesnt appeal at all however keen to hear if it works.
Im guessing the price of avocados might put us off trying at the moment though!
Vanessa
May 08, 2016 10:07AM
Our local green grocer is selling avocados for $6 each at present.
That seems very expensive.
My daughters are having to curb their passion for guacamole.
May 09, 2016 12:04AM
Yes $4.99 at both my local supermarkets at the moment - and they are just sitting there going rotten because they don't sell at that price - crazy! The same thing happened last Christmas.

Have never tried the oven method of ripening but I have been known to take them for a ride in a hot car over summer to speed the process - sort of the same thing!

Into a brown paper bag with a banana is another way.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
May 09, 2016 01:14AM
$4.99 at our greengrocer too, and they're not very good looking.

Something has gone terribly wrong with avocado marketing and distribution - until a year ago they were a staple for us but now I don't buy them at all.
May 09, 2016 02:39AM
I think it is just a bad season for Avocados. A friend has a very large and healthy tree here in Hamilton, and every year the yield and quality of the fruit has been amazing. This year - they are smaller, and he has no where near the bounty he usually has. We are waiting, waiting and waiting
May 09, 2016 05:55AM
We've hardly eaten avocados at all this summer, much to my 12 and 10 year old sons' dismay. Just too expensive for our budget. They kept asking when avocado season was going to get here, only to keep being told "its here, just not a good one so they cost too much!". While not fun, it was a good lesson in supply and demand for them with an item they could very much relate to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.