Gingerbread Loaf recipe question...Help!
August 21, 2016 11:01PM
I'm making this recipe, [albrown.co.nz]
but the measure for the golden syrup seems an awful lot, and I wonder if it should be 1/3 cup rather than 1 1/3. Anyone around on this beautiful afternoon who would have a clue? I'm wanting to take this to our friends who are having chemo at the moment.
Re: Gingerbread Loaf recipe question...Help!
August 21, 2016 11:06PM
OK, I googled and found a Ruth Pretty recipe that looks the same that uses the full amount of golden syrup, so I'll go with the 1 and 1/3 cup. Lots of sugar, but as weight isn't an issue I won't be too worried about it.
Bev
August 21, 2016 11:11PM
I saved the Ruth Pretty recipe a while ago and noticed the large amount of golden syrup. I will be really interested to know how the Al Brown or Ruth Pretty recipe turns out Griz.
August 22, 2016 04:42AM
I made a lovely gingerbread loaf from the dish mag & it had 1 cup of syrup in it. The flavour wa intense & beautiful
August 22, 2016 05:12AM
I have been making the ruth pretty one for many years and always it always
turns out well. So I would definitely keep to same weights/measures.
Griz I prefer it a few days old with a slather of butter yum.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2016 05:14AM by Karen.
August 22, 2016 05:24PM
Gingerbread is typically loaded with sugar.
I have made this Sticky Gingerbread many a time, it is great served as dessert with poached pears and cream, with blue cheese or as an afternoon tea loaf.
August 23, 2016 08:03AM
I am with you Helen, love Philips recipe, always a winner. Isn't it funny whenever I make gingerbread it always starts a wonderful conversation about warm memories of days past & how "oh I haven't had this in years"!
I love when food does that...
August 23, 2016 06:19PM
This recipe certainly made a dense and sticky loaf, mine did sink a little bit but possibly because I did the unthinkable and opened the door while they were cooking. I only got to test the nibbly bits that broke off as I packed them up for our friends but they seemed good and gingery. Might have to make some more for us!
August 23, 2016 09:05PM
Which recipe did you use in the end, Griz? The one in your original post or the link in Helen's post? I love sticky, moist gingerbread but have never made it. If I'm going to take the plunge, I want to get the right one.
August 24, 2016 07:23AM
I used the first recipe, well actually Ruth Pretty's version of that recipe, because Al Brown did the unthinkable and told me to use "standard loaf tins"...how stupid is that? I have four different sized loaf tins and they're all standard for the size they are! Ruth Pretty gave a measurement which meant I could work out which sizes to use to accommodate the mixture. Actually, Ruth Pretty's recipe was much better written than Al Browns!
August 25, 2016 03:36PM
Thank you Griz. Now I'm motivated to give it a go.
August 29, 2016 10:28AM
will be really interested to know how the Al Brown or Ruth Pretty recipe turns out Griz. hat thong
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.