Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Sugar-free desserts using fresh fruit

Posted by karena 
Sugar-free desserts using fresh fruit
January 12, 2017 08:56AM
Does anyone have a favourite dessert using fruit currently in season (nectarines, apricots, berries etc) that has either no or minimal added sugar? I need to take one to a shared meal early next week...
J1
Re: Sugar-free desserts using fresh fruit
January 12, 2017 10:50AM
On a platter you can arrange fresh fruit. If the fruit is hard (such as not fully ripened apricots, nectarines...) it's best to cook them until they're soft, but soft fruits and berries can remain uncooked. Then you make a breadcrumb mixture, e.g. 2 cups of fresh breadcrumbs (the quality and flavour of your breadcrumbs will depend on the bread/s you choose to use) mixed with 3 tbspns brown sugar and 3 tbspns butter cooked in a saucepan until golden brown, and you scatter this over your fruit platter (let the breadcrumb mixture go cold either before or after scattering). Then you whip some cream and dollop it here and there on the platter. That's it, although you can then grate some 70% chocolate over it or a Cadbury Flake bar or some citrus zest or something.....
January 12, 2017 12:03PM
A bowl of mixed berries and some Greek yoghurt.

I like a fresh fruit salad in a large bowl, mix juice of an orange, add a dash of lime juice and some mint leaves and toss through. Serve with whipped cream or yoghurt.

I was going to suggest the old favourite Knickerbocker Glory but that might have too many other sweet things such as jelly in it. The same with Ambrosia.
January 12, 2017 11:43PM
I would either make a fruit salad or platter, with a cream/yoghurt on the side....You can always have grated chocolate etc for those who want to add it in....

In autumn and winter I make low sugar crumbles too, I do add some sugar but often only half the recipe (oats, coconut, ginger etc)

I have also made ambrosia with

berries
raspberry coulis (made from frozen -no sugar)
whipped cream
greek yoghurt

And added a small amount of crushed meringue through it to add texture and some sweetness....Meringues of course are very sweet so it is not no sugar!!
January 12, 2017 11:46PM
This is delicious, portable and uses only a little sugar. You can use peaches, large freestone plums or apricots.

Sicilian Stuffed Peaches

serves 6 - 8

6 free-stone peaches (or equivalent quantity of free-stone plums)
1 tab currants
2 tsp brandy
30g flaked almonds
50g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon powder
40g soft butter

Soak currants in brandy 20 minutes. Meanwhile use a little of the butter to cover the base of a baking dish large enough to hold the halved peaches in one layer.

Heat oven to 200C.

Mix in a small bowl the almonds, sugar, yolks, cocoa, cinnamon the the rest of the butter.

Halve the peaches, remove the stones, enlarge to cavity a little by cutting out a thin layer of flesh. Chop the flesh and add to the bowl with the currants.

Arrange the peaches cut side up in the baking dish, fill the cavities with the mixture. Bake 25 - 30 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the peaches are tender but not collapsing.

Serve warm or cool with lots of whipped cream.
January 16, 2017 02:28AM
Many thanks for these great ideas - I will go with the berries and Greek yoghurt, as we have lots of berries around right now, and they are at their best, but look forward to trying the other recipes in the near future!
January 16, 2017 06:46AM
Another idea is to grill peaches and nectarines, with butter, cinnamon + drop of vanilla extract then top with toasted nuts (almonds) and add a dollop of marscapone.
January 25, 2017 01:35PM
TPANDAV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is delicious, portable and uses only a little
> sugar. You can use peaches, large freestone
> plums or apricots.
>
> Sicilian Stuffed Peaches
>
> serves 6 - 8
>
> 6 free-stone peaches (or equivalent quantity of
> free-stone plums)
> 1 tab currants
> 2 tsp brandy
> 30g flaked almonds
> 50g caster sugar
> 2 egg yolks
> 1 tsp cocoa
> 1 tsp cinnamon powder
> 40g soft butter
>
> Soak currants in brandy 20 minutes. Meanwhile
> use a little of the butter to cover the base of a
> baking dish large enough to hold the halved
> peaches in one layer.
>
> Heat oven to 200C.
>
> Mix in a small bowl the almonds, sugar, yolks,
> cocoa, cinnamon the the rest of the butter.
>
> Halve the peaches, remove the stones, enlarge to
> cavity a little by cutting out a thin layer of
> flesh. Chop the flesh and add to the bowl with
> the currants.
>
> Arrange the peaches cut side up in the baking
> dish, fill the cavities with the mixture. Bake 25
> - 30 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the
> peaches are tender but not collapsing.
>
> Serve warm or cool with lots of whipped cream.

thanks for good idea. Today i'll try to make it ) thnkx one more time
March 26, 2017 12:02AM
I have something with Chia seeds - instead of sugar I added honey.

Ingredients (for 2 people):
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
50ml of milk
200ml of coconut milk
4 tablespoons of honey
½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
3 plums
half an apple
1 tablespoon of butter
2 tablespoons of lemon juice

the whole recipe here

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0672b.jpg (73 KB)
April 05, 2017 10:06AM
Grocery stores and bakeries are rife with baked goods, but often light on gluten-free varieties.
April 07, 2017 09:47AM
Strawberries, peaches, apricots, and melons: These awesome fruit recipes are a great way to have a sweet end to any meal during any season.

Hi
I would like to share food tips and ideas.
Thanks
aaron
[www.newasianvillage.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 09:48AM by aaronriver.
May 15, 2017 12:27PM
I've just tried a genuinely sugar free dessert, and it works really well. You bake/gently stew fruit in fresh orange juice and water, adding whole spices such as cardamom and cinnamon sticks and a few sliced dates if the fruit is a bit sour. The recipe I had used feijoas and dried apricots, but I think that quinces, apples or plums would work just as well. You then make a crumble topping in the food processor, using a mix of nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut shreds, and oatmeal, adding some dates (I used 8 dates for 1 1/2 cups of this mix) and 50 g of butter. Brown the crumble mix in the oven - stirring so that it browns evenly. Let it cool. Serve the fruit topped with plain unsweetened yoghurt, and with the topping sprinkled over each serving. I know dates are high in fructose, but you don't use many, and it is delicious!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.