Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Help with Slices that can be Frozen

Posted by helen 
Help with Slices that can be Frozen
February 23, 2017 05:49AM
A few weeks ago on radio someone called in regarding sweet slices that are good to freeze as she is getting organised for her daughters impending wedding.
I meant to get back to her straight away and then didn't and then had my fall and banged up head and here we are another week later.

I make and freeze brownie and also tan square.

What do you find are the best slices for freezing and do you find that it is best to ice once thawed?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Help with Slices that can be Frozen
February 24, 2017 02:37AM
I think most slices are suitable for freezing, but these words of wisdom from Raewyn G who used to post on Foodlovers often (and who knows her baking) may come in useful regarding freezing slices with icing:

"Raewyn G [ PM ]
Re: Freezing your baking
January 24, 2006 11:56AM Registered: 11 years ago

Hi Zeetra,
Being the queen of freezing baking at work and at home......you go girl.
I do find the only thing that really matters is anything that is going to be iced. I always make a butter icing and use tepid milk instead of water. This stops it going all sweaty apon thawing.
If you are icing a slice, cut when icing is set and put layers of baking paper between layers in your container.
If icing a cake it is better to freeze it uncovered. Once frozen cover, then to thaw, uncover again.
Biscuits, fruit loaves etc are a breeze to freeze.
Good on you getting organised, wish I was!!!!!
Kind Regards,
Raewyn G "

Regards,
Dawn.
February 26, 2017 09:43PM
Oh brilliant, thanks Dawn. A friend of mine made us a batch of tan square. It is in the freezer and I have a piece each day after lunch,
Love frozen tan square as the caramel goes quite chewy.
February 26, 2017 10:46PM
I love Tan Square too Helen and it is so easy to make. Last week I had to supply 50 pieces of sweet slices for a bus trip and your Tan Square recipe on Foodlovers was one of the slices, but luckily I was able to bake everything over two days before the trip so didn't need to freeze anything.
Regards,
Dawn.
February 27, 2017 12:41AM
Sticky lemon slice is also good to freeze.
Just dust with icing sugar once thawed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.