Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Field Mushrooms

Posted by Dawn 
Field Mushrooms
March 11, 2017 01:57AM
I have just picked half a bucket of field mushrooms..........Yum!! I liken the field mushroom season to the fresh asparagus season in that I can't wait for either of them to arrive, and when they do I'm a very happy chappy. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Whereas I can be assured of a fresh asparagus season I cannot be assured of a field mushroom season every year! However, so far so good and we haven't been washed out with the weather as so many poor people have been in the North Island.
Regards,
Dawn.
Re: Field Mushrooms
March 11, 2017 06:08AM
Lovely Dawn how lucky.Our paddocks were always in sheep and cattle all year, but over the last few years we have leased out the land to growers of Squash and Sweetcorn spring/summer.No more mushrooms for us but I remember the days of walking outside and filling a bucket, cleaning them and freezing straight away.How I envy you,good on you.
March 13, 2017 04:06AM
Man I wish I could get my hands on nice fresh field mushrooms in Central Auckland!
When we were in Waihi beach last year there were kids selling paper bags full of them for $3. I stopped and bought everything they had, and ate them all over 3 day. My wife and kids were disgusted. I am damn near drooling remembering it.
March 13, 2017 05:48AM
Oooooh sorry to make you drool networkn, but I know the feeling! If I had enough to share around I'd give you a yell! The last few years we've only had mainly one paddock which grows some, whereas once upon a time they'd come up in any paddock and I'd come home with buckets full. At the moment those days seem to have gone.

Marylew you certainly will be missing not being able to collect mushrooms - it's exciting just to go out and hunt for them isn't it - especially the first of the season.
Regards,
Dawn.
March 17, 2017 09:34PM
On my last shopping trip, I spotted some extremely big and nice field mushrooms. They were almost asking to be grilled or baked with delicious fillings. After a moment of contemplation, onion, gorgonzola cheese, walnuts and dried tomatoes appeared on the table. Just a mess in the kitchen and the dinner is ready.

Ingredients:
5 big mushrooms
150g of gorgonzola cheese
½ an onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 dried tomatoes in olive oil
6 walnuts
small chili pepper
2 tablespoons of butter
1 big fistful of minced parsley
salt and pepper

the whole recipe is here

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0783a.jpg (46.7 KB)
open | download - DSC_0789a.jpg (55.7 KB)
March 18, 2017 12:36AM
Flora205 thank you for your recipe, your mushrooms look delicious! I make a similar filling for the commercially grown Portobello mushrooms which contains a mixture of breadcrumbs, crumbled cooked bacon, cheese, spring onion, parsley, red onion, dried tomatoes etc. and topped with a sprinkling of sumac or smoked paprika.

I don't put toppings on our wild field mushrooms because they are picked in varying sizes and can be quite delicate, and it's easier to peel them and cook with some butter in a frying pan which forms a lovely juice which is thickened to make a sauce to serve the mushrooms over toast or as a dinner time vegetable. Wild field mushrooms are quite moist as opposed to Portobello mushrooms.

Here on the farm the wild field mushrooms have come to an abrupt halt because we've had no rain to keep them producing. But I am happy to have had at least a few meals of them and if the weather remains warm enough when we get another good downpour, who knows, we may get another crop of mushrooms this season!
Regards,
Dawn.
March 18, 2017 02:49AM
I keep my fingers crossed Dawnsmiling smiley

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.