Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Where to buy dried baking (i.e. tart) apricots

Posted by Ananna 
Where to buy dried baking (i.e. tart) apricots
March 25, 2017 05:14AM
Our family loves dried baking apricots, which are much tarter than the very sweet Turkish-style apricots. Baking apricots used to be readily available in the supermarkets but appear to have completely disappeared. My local New World has ten different Turkish-style brands and no baking ones. I asked if they could re-stock the baking ones but drew a blank. I've tried asking Tasti, but they only have the sweet ones. I've tried my local health food shops...but you guessed it, only the sweet ones.

Does anyone know where I can buy baking apricots in central / West Auckland?
Re: Where to buy dried baking (i.e. tart) apricots
March 25, 2017 06:18AM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by baking apricots, but if you mean those that are quite small, darker in colour and drier than the pale Turkish ones then I buy them at Bulk Savings in Mt Eden.

[www.localist.co.nz]
March 25, 2017 07:05AM
Ananna, did they look like this?

[www.google.co.nz]:

I would love to be able to source the dried apricots from Central Otago. I used to be able to buy them but I haven't seen them around for ages.

They were never as soft as the Turkish ones but to me the flavour was/is far superior.
March 25, 2017 07:54AM
I wonder if Bin Inn would have them? But, I don't think there is a store in West Auckland any more.
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
March 26, 2017 04:30AM
I agree with Marnie re the Otago dried apricots. I haven't looked for them for a long time but they used to be available in the supermarket help-yourself bins. They have a pretty tart/sour flavour compared to Turkish apricots. It seems you might be able to get one particular brand of them from Auckland stockists as listed here:
[www.driedfruit.co.nz]

Just as an extra, an old article with recipe for NZ dried apricots [www.stuff.co.nz]
March 26, 2017 04:33AM
Just looking at that link you provided, Marnie, I looked at the Bridge Hill Industries website and while they don't supply direct to the public, there is a comprehensive list of stockists throughout the country, so I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding some.

I agree that the local product is preferable to the Turkish variety.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 04:35AM by Barbara Anne.
March 26, 2017 05:11AM
The Alison Holst dried apricots in the bins at New World are the tasty New Zealand ones I use for baking. You should still be able to get then.

I use the Turkish apricots for when I make my muesli.
March 26, 2017 05:14AM
Thanks for those suggestions, Barbara Anne and J1. I will check out Culinary Council at Gate Pa tomorrow, I love going into that place, regardless of dried apricots.
The Good Food Trading Company in Mt Maunganui became Nosh, also a delight to visit.
Dawn, I checked in Bin Inn but as each one can be different, I think they may be franchised, some may have them and others not.
March 26, 2017 05:43AM
Marnie thank you for going the extra mile to check out your local Bin Inn, I have noticed in more recent years Bin Inn are not as prevalent around Auckland as they used to be, or as I thought they used to be.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 05:44AM by Dawn.
March 31, 2017 01:25AM
I recall that someone here asked where they can buy the diced dried apricots. Well, I saw them the other day at New World in Westport when we detoured there on our way home to Wanaka. Can't see the question in this thread but I am reasonably confident that someone asked this.
April 12, 2017 01:28AM
Hi Marnie - yes, those ones are exactly what I'm looking for.
April 12, 2017 04:41AM
Hi Ananna, I checked out the gourmet food stores looking for the Otago apricots and have had no success to date. However, I now have some very nice dried apricots that I bought from Vetro. They have stores at Napier, Rotorua, New Plymouth, Gisborne and Tauranga. The dried apricots are actually from South Africa, are firmer than the Turkish ones and have plenty of flavour.
April 13, 2017 04:10AM
Thanks Marnie. Hopefully they'll open a branch in Auckland! I managed to find some here in Auckland yesterday - will post separately about that. Cheers
April 13, 2017 04:14AM
Eureka! Quite by chance I stumbled across some dried baking apricots yesterday in Countdown Eden Quarter (Auckland). They are "FreshLife Silver Platter gourmet apricots". See here for more details: [shop.countdown.co.nz]

The country of origin was not stated on the packaging, so I phoned to find out. Apparently they're usually sourced from South Africa and occasionally from Australia. They are never sourced from China. Guess who is planning a trip back to Countdown on the weekend to stockpile them before they too disappear from the shelves!
May 09, 2017 02:43AM
I have just had some dried NZ South Island apricots delivered to me and they are fantastic.
Just tucked away 1.5kgs
I was so disappointed after not being able to buy them locally for the last couple of years.
The place I got them from was Freeway Orchard www.freewayorchard.co.nz.
The orchard is situated in Cromwell.
Hope this helps
May 09, 2017 10:08AM
Jacksons Orchards in Cromwell is the place I go to. They ship their dried fruit all over New Zealand. Unfortunately I have just checked their website and it appears the dried apricots are sold out. Sorry! Perhaps something to keep in mind though in the future? Also Angas Park in South Australia also send to New Zealand for bulk buying. I brought some back once in my (declared) luggage and they are the same as the New Zealand ones.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.