Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Chicken Stock.

Posted by marylew 
Chicken Stock.
April 01, 2017 01:56AM
A recipe I have says use a large chicken stock cube.Will chicken stock powder give the same effect?And how much powder would be large? Thanks.
Re: Chicken Stock.
April 01, 2017 02:25AM
Yes it will and I think 1 cube equates to 1 teaspoon. A cube is just the same powder compressed into a shape. Never heard of a "large" cube... but in your situation I'd probably start with 1 teaspoon and check the taste.
April 01, 2017 02:48AM
Thanks Jenna I've never bought cubes so I wondered if they could be different.I will stick to what i have.
April 01, 2017 03:15PM
There used to be two sizes of stock cubes, m*ggi ones were smaller, and ox0 ones were larger. To be honest I find the difference between ox0 cubes and stock powders to be quite marked, I prefer the cubes.
Yes substitute one cube for one teaspoon of powder.
April 01, 2017 10:22PM
Actually Griz now that you say that about the cubes I think I will buy some.I do want to make the recipe exactly as it reads and that is the cook I am.I need a recipe and I have to follow it with my finger under each word.I'm hopeless.It's only a Chicken Sweet and Sour stir-fry but I have never made one.
April 01, 2017 10:34PM
I used to buy the Knorr brand of stock cubes but I haven't seen them in the shops for years. They were the most flavoursome stock cubes, and the smallest. You can still buy their stock powders in bulk from various suppliers to commercial kitchens, but it comes in kilo tubs and would be a solid block before you get half way through that amount. Has anyone seen the cubes or powders in their supermarkets?
J1
April 02, 2017 12:01AM
A long time ago I looked at the ingredients of stock cubes/powders and found them to be predominantly salt. Below for info:

Oxo chicken cube: Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Dried Glucose Syrup, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate), Yeast Extract, Flavourings, Chicken Fat (3%), Potato Starch, Sugar, Concentrated Chicken Extract (2%), Colour (Ammonia Caramel).

Knorr chicken cube: Salt, Potato Starch, Vegetable Fats (Palm, Shea Butter, Sal Butter), Yeast Extract, Sugar, Chicken Fat (2%), Chicken (1%), Spices (Turmeric, Pepper, Celery Seeds), Flavourings, Onion Powder, Maltodextrin, Lemon Juice Powder, Parsley, Caramel Syrup, Antioxidant (Extracts of Rosemary)

Maggi chicken stock powder: Stock Powder Mix (Salt, Sugar, Mineral Salt, 508, Corn Starch, Chicken Fat, Flavour, Yeast Extract), Soy Sauce Powder (Soy, Wheat, Anticaking Agent, 551), Onion Powder, Chicken Meat Powder, Colours (Caramel III, Turmeric)
April 04, 2017 06:42AM
I have started using the Simon Gault ones in a sachet in the supermarket which is a paste, in your recipe i would just start with about a teaspoon or so of the paste. The flavour is good and not nearly a salty as the powers and cubes. There are 4 flavours, once opened you have to keep them in the fridge, I just stand them up in the door. I have even used them in Risotto, I just make up the stock with boiling water and then keep on the simmer, where the cubes and powders are horrible.
The Lamb one is particularly good with a nice hint of rosemary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 06:43AM by Danube.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.