Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Your favourite fish recipe

Posted by IngridO 
Your favourite fish recipe
April 08, 2017 02:24AM
My partner went fishing and brought back a massive haul. We have Snapper and Kawhai - he smoked two fish but we have lots of filleted fish now in the freezer.

I'm looking to mix it up a bit and try some new fish recipes

Whats your favourite thing to do with fish?
Re: Your favourite fish recipe
April 09, 2017 05:38PM
Has anyone baked fish in a bag?
April 10, 2017 04:15PM
Not in a bag, but last night I made fennel and poached fish. This is what I did:

Sliced a medium sized fennel bulb into 8 slices, keeping the root on to hold the slices together.
Fried it in olive oil with 1/2 a chopped red onion till it was golden on both sides then sprinkled it with pepper and poured over 1/2 cup chicken stock mixed with 1/4 cup pinot gris and 1 crushed clove of garlic.
Simmered it covered, for about 15 minutes till tender and turned up the heat to reduce and thicken the sauce a bit. Then reduced the heat and laid a couple of gurnard fillets on top and spooned some of the liquid over the fish. Lid back on and cooked for a further 5 minutes.

I served it with brocolli and carrot with the rest of the sauce poured over the fish an fennel. It was delicious!

For dessert I had one of those small single serve Aunt Betty's rice puddings with the chopped flesh of a feijoa mixed in.
April 10, 2017 04:43PM
Not in a bag, but I bake fish in parcels made of baking paper. Fish, lemon zest, parsley or dill (or whatever aromatic you want), salt, pepper, knob of butter and a dribble of white wine. Paint the edges of the paper with a beaten egg and fold over to make a sealed parcel. Bake for 15ish minutes.

We're not big fish eaters as my husband doesn't particularly like it, but everyone in my house will eat this.
J1
April 11, 2017 08:24PM
Jenna, is there a reason why you use baking paper for your fish parcels rather than the more usual tin foil, e.g. do you find they turn out better? Thanks.
April 11, 2017 09:21PM
J1 - two reasons. First, this is how my mother did it and I learned the recipe from her.. and second, I don't like to cook in aluminium.

I've never cooked them in foil, so can't comment on any difference in result smiling smiley
April 11, 2017 11:01PM
Mine would have to be fish panfried with capers and lemon - probably flounder or John dory.

OR

Sashimi - I love fresh sashimi with wasabi and ginger.

Another winner is white fish with panfried banana - sweet and delicious

Just thought of another - fresh fish marinated in coconut milk, chilli and lime.

Vanessa
J1
April 12, 2017 05:24PM
Jenna, thanks for your reply and your comment that you don't like to cook in aluminium. Although I'm aware of the historical aluminium cooking pots and Alzheimer's theory, I hadn't given any thought to aluminium ("tin" ) foil! Thankfully it's main use in our kitchen is as a temporary lid on containers that don't have one. I'm thinking that the newish invention of that non-stick foil is probably encouraging people to use it more for direct contact with food, which may not be a good thing. [www.nzherald.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 05:24PM by J1.
April 20, 2017 03:47AM
I make individual parcels out of baking paper too, then pop them straight on plate. Neat parcels attract oohs and has. Don't know why as they're dead easy. I often just use a knob of butter and lemon juice, but sometimes garlic butter or ginger and chilli. Depends on my mood. I had one person ask where I bought the "parcels". Haha.
April 20, 2017 03:49AM
PS. I try to minimise my use of foil because of the "aluminium". I try use silicone 'lids' instead of foil or plastic wrap (trying to minimise my use of plastic), so hope someone doesn't come up with a danger in using silicone.
J1
April 20, 2017 05:40PM
Oh yes, sorry, when i said "it's main use in our kitchen is as a temporary lid on containers that don't have one", I meant for pans, pots, dishes cooking in the oven, not for containers in the fridge, etc.
May 04, 2017 06:05AM
My favourite fish recipe (great for entertaining, because it can be prepared partly in advance and is very easy) is based on one of Nigel Slater's. Quantities depend on numbers being served.

Fish fillets (eg tarakihi, gurnard)
potatoes
onion/s
cream
fresh dill, tarragon or basil

Peel and boil or steam potatoes, cool and cut in thin slices. Saute onion/s (1 is enough if you are serving 4 people) in olive oil until tender, but not coloured. Place onions in baking dish, with fish fillets on top. sprinkle over fresh herbs, chopped finely. Pour over just enough cream to almost cover fish. Lay potato slices on top, overlapping slightly. Grind over black pepper, and either drizzle with olive oil or scatter small slivers of butter on top. Bake until fish is tender, cream is sizzling and potatoes are browned.
May 04, 2017 06:49PM
Sophie Grigson's food for friends has an excellent variation of Karena's Nigel Slater recipe with anchovies and onions that we often cook. The flavour of the anchovies melts into the cream and adds an extra dimension to the flavours. Carluccio has a monkfish recipe that we often cook and have used cod & terakihi and instead of cream, uses a generous quantity of good olive oil, fresh sage leaves to layer between the thinly sliced raw potatoes (we put them through the food processor or mandolin); fish and grated fresh parmesan. Both are baked about 30 minutes at 200C and the fish remains beautifully moist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.