Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Fancy whole chicken - ideas please

Posted by Vanessa45 
Fancy whole chicken - ideas please
May 03, 2017 01:02PM
Ideas please...
How can I jazz up a regular frozen chicken into something succulent, a bit luxurious and maybe even a bit different?
I have a webber BBQ that makes a fabulous roast chicken but I always do that and Ive recently done chicken simmered in soy/garlic/fishsauce ect (Beggars chicken I think).
Vanessa
Re: Fancy whole chicken - ideas please
May 04, 2017 02:08AM
If you're a garlic lover, how about a roast chicken stuffed with croutons that have been tossed in a dressing of pernod, olive oil, salt and pepper, laid on a generous bed of fresh herbs - parsley, thyme,tarragon, fennel, marjorum - whatever you have in the garden that will complement the pernod flavour; scattered with the unpeeled cloves of three or four heads of garlic (hardneck garlic with its large cloves are best for this dish) and drizzled with generous slug of olive oil and more pernod. Used a lidded casserole that will just fit the chicken and make a stiff dough with 1 cup flour and water, roll into a sausage to fit around the rim of the lid to seal it down and bake at 200C for 1 hr 15min. If necessary, brown the chicken with the lid off at the end of cooking time. While it's resting, strain off the herbs and reserve the garlic to serve with the chicken and make a gravy. Serve with a salad, roast potatoes or whatever you please!
If you don't mind chopping the chicken into portions, you can never go wrong with the Silver Palate's Chicken Marbella [www.epicurious.com] has been a favourite for over 30 years since a dear friend gave me the recipe book
It's basically a dressed up version of the classic Filipino recipe, Chicken Adobo
May 04, 2017 08:05AM
My mouth is watering!!!! Chicken Marbella sounds great too - wow a 30 year fav, it must be a real goodie! I cant wait to give it ago.
Vanessa
May 09, 2017 12:33PM
This might be worth a try as a simple way to spruce up the flavour of a chook.

Roast Chicken with anchovies and olives under the skin

In a food processor, pulse a handful of 4 anchovies in oil and 1/4 cup of olives until finely chopped. Pull up the chicken skin and press the mixture into the meat.

Roast the chicken as you normally would.
May 15, 2017 11:37AM
Anchovies and olives - 2 of my favourites, this sounds like another winner idea.
Thanks
May 24, 2017 12:59AM
Ingrid, is there something missing from your brief recipe for Roast Chicken with Anchovies & Olives? It seems strange to call for a 'handful of 4 anchovies in oil'.

Incidentally, I found a recipe online for a similar-named chicken dish but it also called for 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, amongst other things, which I thought was a bit excessive. But as I'd never cooked the recipe before, I followed it and I was right - the balsamic completely over-shadowed the other ingredients and it was totally unbalanced.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.