Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Persimmon time

Posted by sbro131 
Persimmon time
May 09, 2017 02:10AM
My persimmon tree is about to giv e me a bumper crop - I protect them from the birds with those little organza gift bags.
I have a Persimmon and Pineapple jam recipe, and a cake recipe (from the US) that isn't that good, and I use them in salads.
A lot of the recipes call for the squishy ones, not the crisp, newer breed. While mine will go squishy, I think there must be more uses for them at the 'apple' stage.
Does anyone have any hints, tips and/or recipes?
J1
Re: Persimmon time
May 09, 2017 08:01AM
I had a persimmon cake recipe and a persimmon pudding recipe and I didn't really like either of those either! smiling smiley I haven't looked for any more recipes so am no help........... The birds surely do love them though.....
May 09, 2017 10:03AM
I like firm persimmons in a salad. Usually I combine thin wedges of persimmon with sliced red onion and black olives, dress with a sherry vinegar vinaigrette. They also combine well with capers, green olives, cabbage or prosciutto. This season I am going to try persimmon with grilled radicchio.
May 10, 2017 12:44AM
I think persimmons are at their very best hanging on a leafless tree in low winter sun. Magical. I buy them occasionally for their good looks and put them in a cole slaw or slices on a cheeseboard. Often they remain on the fruit bowl until I think they must be thrown away and then they can be surprisingly delicious.
May 10, 2017 01:36AM
Here is a nice Martha Stewart recipe that can be either an entré or a dessert:

Grilled Persimmons with Mascarpone

4 ripe persimmons
For the Garnish
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Crystallized ginger, finely chopped, or brown sugar
For the Mascarpone Mixture
9 ounces mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Heat grill, with rack 6 inches from heat. Slice persimmons in half crosswise. Place halves cut side up in a baking dish, and drizzle each half with honey. Grill until tops are golden brown and caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately drizzle 1 tablespoon lime juice over the tops.

While persimmons are grilling, whisk together mascarpone, vanilla, and remaining tablespoon lime juice in a medium bowl.

Serve persimmons hot, each half topped with a dollop of mascarpone mixture and sprinkled with ginger or sugar, if desired.
May 10, 2017 06:32AM
I love them, I cut them into wedges and eat the crunchy flesh
Here are a couple of recipes I use. One is very similar to the recipe Lorna posted. The second one is best when the persimmons are softer.

Honey Baked Persimmons
Ingredients
4 persimmons
1 vanilla bean
2 tablespoons of honey
1 cup of hot water
Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Peel persimmons, remove stalks. Slice fruit in half horizontally through centre. Place cut side up in large ceramic or glass baking dish.
De-seed vanilla pod, add to small bowl with honey and stir seeds through. Add bean pod to baking dish. Dissolve honey mixture in hot water and pour over fruit.
Cover dish with foil, bake for 30-50 minutes, until persimmons are soft. Preheat grill till hot. Remove foil, spoon syrup over top of fruit. Place dish under grill for 10 minutes or until fruit begins to brown on top.
Serve immediately with syrup and yoghurt or cream if desired

Baked Persimmon Pudding
Ingredients:
1 cup persimmon puree
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch salt
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
½ cup chopped walnuts
Method:
Preheat oven to 180 C Mix persimmon puree with 1 teaspoon baking soda. In a separate
bowl mix together remaining baking soda, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
In a small bowl mix the egg, lemon juice, vanilla, milk and melted butter.
Mix persimmon and egg mix to the dry ingredients alternately. Lastly add
chopped walnuts. Pour into a 8cm square pan and bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with custard or cream.
May 11, 2017 04:09AM
I love the squishy, jellified persimmons. I just cut the stem out with a sharp knife and eat the inside with a spoon. As the season is quite short, I find them somewhat decadent and I feel quite naughty if I eat more than one a day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.