Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What time do you eat?

Posted by Vanessa45 
What time do you eat?
May 10, 2017 03:36AM
Ive just read an interesting article about why the Spaniards eat late.

[www.bbc.com]

It got me thinking about when I eat my main meals.

What dictates when you eat your meals?

I have breakfast at work, about 9am usually either at my desk or standing up, Ive usually had x2 coffees at home earlier tho.
As Im a teacher I have lunch at the same time everyday - 12.45pm

Dinner is usually when my kids go to bed so after 8pm.

Im very flexible though, on the weekends I listen to my stomach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 03:36AM by Vanessa45.
Re: What time do you eat?
May 10, 2017 04:01AM
Vanessa45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> > Im very flexible though, on the weekends I listen to my stomach.

.... Vanessa, just reading that line in your statement reminded me of what my 4 year old granddaughter recently told her Mum. They were having dinner out, and even though clearly full my grandie kept eating. In the end her Mum turned to her and said.. "You know you should listen to your tummy and when it tells you it is full, it is time to stop eating" My smart little grandies response to that "Well Mummy, I am sorry but my tummy is not talking to me today" smiling smiley

She then requested ice cream for dessert ... and Mummy said to her but I thought you were full. And she said oh no, and pointed to her body to the side of her tummy and up a bit.. "there is still a little piece of room right there Mummy"

As for our meal times.... Mon to Fri breakfast is fairly standard and around 8am after a coffee, and then I start my days work (home office). Lunch... very spasmodic dependent upon work load (its nearly 1pm now and I haven't had anything yet), and also dependent upon a 4 legged creature and if she starts nagging me for her walk. I would rather get her out and eat when we get back, so I can enjoy lunch in peace. Dinner ranges from 7pm to 8pm.. Summertime is always later with daylight savings, and can be after 8.
May 10, 2017 04:40AM
The article about Spain is fascinating, thanks! It certainly could explain a few aspects of Spain's low productivity and its economic plight. I found it really hard to adjust to the eating times when I was in Spain, especially the late lunch. By 2.30 I would be ravenous .

We usually have breakfast around 7.30, lunch around 12.30, dinner 7 - 8 (later if we are entertaining). I try to keep dinner time relatively early so that we have a good 12 hours fasting before breakfast.
May 10, 2017 05:18AM
Often our working hours and lifestyle have a lot to do with when we eat our meals.
My husband likes to eat his three main meals at very regular times. Whereas, I tend to want to be far more flexible, within reason. Sometimes I suddenly realise that it is 2pm and I haven't eaten any lunch, husband having made himself a sandwich and I could just about guarantee that it would have been right on noon.

Reading through the link on Spain I remember that knowing we may be eating much later than what is usual for us we would have a little something around 4-5pm to stay the hunger pangs. Don't even get me started about being invited to "Tea" in England and whether they meant Dinner. Twice we got it wrong. Colonials!! winking smiley

Irene, I know all about grandchildren and what they have room for and what they don't. Their parents tried to keep a strict eye on that but as they grew older found it far harder to control. The parents more relaxed now and know when it matters and when it doesn't.
May 10, 2017 05:45AM
Breakfast is about 6:45-7am, lunch for me 12:30ish but if I'm busy it could easily be 2, my husband is 11:30ish (he feels quite sick if he hasn't eaten by 12), children are 1:10 at school. Dinner is 6:30-7.. as we all go to bed relatively early.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 05:46AM by Jenna.
May 10, 2017 06:19AM
I breakfast pretty early, soon after 6am when I first get up, then have quite a long break until my lunch, often happy to wait until nearly 2pm. (I have an office job)
Dinner is early though maybe 6 or 6.30pm so my longest break is the "fast" before breakfast.
Husband is pretty firm on meal times & prefers lunch at lunchtime (by the clock, not his stomach necessarily) & we eat dinner at that time I think because of habit, plus we go to bed at or around 9pm. As I am getting older too I am finding it harder to eat larger meals in the evening, particularly later than our usual meal times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 06:39AM by mantilla.
May 10, 2017 08:48AM
Hmmmm, my body clock is completely up the wazoo from shift work, so I often don't eat until 12 noon, then have dinner sometime between 6-9pm, and often another snack around midnight, I often don't go to bed until 2 or 3am. Or if I'm doing nights then I eat breakfast at 0730, have dinner between 6-9pm and then another snack around 2am at work.
May 10, 2017 10:55PM
I eat breakfast around 7.30 together with my kids before going to school, the lunch comes around 13.00-14.00 and the dinner 19.00 and later depending on the situation.

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
May 11, 2017 04:04AM
My evening eating demands seem to be controlled more by the light and temperture than the clock. Breakfast is always around 7am as I'm an early riser (5am) and by 7 I'm really ready for food. Lunch is anywhere between 12 & 2.30. In summer, dinner may be as late as 8 or 8.30 but as the days begin to draw in, it gets earlier and earlier till I'm eating at around 5 - 5.30. At the moment, it's 6 - 6.30ish. I also enjoy my 10.30am cup of coffee and biscuit but often don't have anything for 'afternoon tea' as lunch has been late and I don't need anything till dinner time.
May 12, 2017 08:45AM
I eat breakfast at around 7:30 - toast and coffee
Lunch at 12:30
Dinner at 5:30/6
May 15, 2017 11:36AM
Irene in response to listening to my stomach - I eat when it tells me to eat but suffer the same as your granides - I struggle to know when to stop! If something delicious is on offer I will always find a way.

I had a hight tea out with the ladies for Mothers day. You now the one where the bring you a selection for 2 or 3 on each tiered plate.

Well at the end of the afternoon I said to my sister - well I now know why were are on the chubbier side compared to the other half of the family LOL we ate most of the high tea whilst they left about half of theirs.

Its really interesting hearing others eating times.
Griz, shift work must take a toll on the body sometimes? I guess you get used to it though. There is something special being up when most are asleep tho. I used to love riding the night bus home after late restaurant shifts in London. We left from Piccadilly Circus heading out and I loved the people watching - a different breed hang out at night!
Even getting up early to go for a walk/run/gym is lovely (once you're awake) - watching the sunrise and the darkness turn to light.

8.35pm - about to have dinner - Roast pork, another Pak n Save special this week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 11:36AM by Vanessa45.
May 15, 2017 01:36PM
The best bit of shift work is going to bed on a cold rainy winters day when everyone else is battling the weather. I tend to only do evening and night shifts and my body clock has shifted to accommodate that. I've been in Dunedin this weekend celebrating my daughter's graduation, and have really struggled with the repeated need to be up in the morning (5 o'clock start for flights, 7am start for Grad day, sleep in on Sunday, and another 7am start today!) But look here we are at 10:30pm and I'm wide awake!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.