Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Oaty chocolate. chip cookies

Posted by Beverley 
Oaty chocolate. chip cookies
May 18, 2017 02:35AM
Helen,

I have just taken a batch of these out of the oven. You really are the biscuit Queen, they are super delicious !

Thank you for the recipe.

Beverley
Re: Oaty chocolate. chip cookies
May 18, 2017 05:44AM
Yippee! Great to hear Beverley and thanks for posting.
May 18, 2017 07:14AM
I like this recipe also but have not baked with coconut or rolled oats for a long time obviously.I want to bake these this weekend and have just checked my pantry and the date stamp on the rolled oats is 26/01/17.The date stamp on my coconut is 09/12 16.Should I discard them and buy fresh or could I use them.They are unopened but I would happily buy fresh if it would affect the taste of these biscuits.
May 18, 2017 07:35AM
The rolled oats should be fine, and the coconut probably will be OK, but check that it is not getting a rancid smell and still has a fresh white coconut colour.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 18, 2017 08:02AM
Thanks Dawn. I am now erring on the side of discard and buy fresh.The recipe has thumbs up from Beverley as I thought it would so it should deserve fresher ingredients.Once I have them,I am set up for another batch etc.Thanks again must clear out my pantry.
May 18, 2017 09:20AM
I had my eye on that recipe as soon as I saw it. They look so simple and delicious.
I agree that the oats should be fine but coconut can deteriorate faster, probably because of the oil in it.
No lunch boxes here to fill but they would soon disappear.
J1
May 18, 2017 10:46AM
I keep my coconut in a glass container in the fridge, if that's any help for future purchases.....
May 18, 2017 10:59PM
Right on, Marylew, even a hint of rancid coconut would spoil these gems. I think the pulsing of the Oats is what makes this recipe so special.

Thanks for the tip about keeping coconut in a glass jar in the fridge, J1 , makes a lot of sense !

Beverley.
May 19, 2017 09:36AM
I keep coconut in the freezer. Works a treat.
May 19, 2017 10:18PM
Thanks, Chris, another option when room in the fridge is limited.

Cheers,

Beverley
May 19, 2017 10:34PM
I agree that these coconut storing tips are very helpful.I have passed them on to one of my daughters who disliked a slice she baked because the coconut on top tasted unusual.The little tips you get from this forum can be priceless.I am off to buy coconut today and it will be stored properly this time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.