Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Oyster Sauce

Posted by helen 
Oyster Sauce
June 01, 2017 03:23AM
I am just writing a list of essential pantry ingredients for SE Asian cooking and I have left Oyster Sauce off the list.
I rarely use it but am interested to hear if it is just me and whether you use it regularly.
If you do use it what do you usually put it into?
Re: Oyster Sauce
June 01, 2017 03:31AM
Oh and do you buy more than 1 variety of soy sauce?

We usually have Tamari sauce for dipping sushi etc.. and then just an all purpose soy sauce.
I don't buy dark or golden or any other variation.
Do you?
June 01, 2017 03:41AM
Oyster sauce: I always have it in the fridge but don't use it that often. I sometimes add some to steamed Asian greens (along with soy sauce and sesame oil) and occasionally to fried rice.

Soy sauce: I buy only one kind, Megachef, because it is gluten-free and good quality. It is part way between dark and light and I use it for everything.
June 01, 2017 08:26AM
I love it and use it often. I used to buy the one with the lady or boy on the front cover (gawd, cant remember) BUT tried a premium one and it was a million times better. I cant remember the name but I did a "Foodlovers" post about it so will try and do a search for you.
Vanessa
June 01, 2017 08:30AM
Oyster sauce post from a few months back
[forum.foodlovers.co.nz]

I use it for stir frying - meat and/or veg. I use it alone or bump it up with the usual, garlic, chilli and ginger.
It also makes a good BBQ marinade but watch it when it caramelises on the hotplate.
I also add a bit of fish sauce to it and maybe some Thai basil.
I hope this helps

Vanessa
June 01, 2017 02:22PM
I use oyster sauce in stirfrys, most often paired with fish sauce. For soy sauce I have have Kikkoman Less Salt and also kecap manis.
June 02, 2017 12:30AM
I use oyster sauce in the more delicate things like dips and 'raw' sauces and use hoisin for more robust stir-fries and sometimes as the umami element in casseroles, soups, etc.

The same with soy sauce: ordinary soy sauce when I need something robust, but tamari for the subtle, sweeter flavour.
January 21, 2018 08:33PM
Remembered this thread, as yesterday I made a recipe from the Vogel's Bread website called
Burmese Deep Fried Chicken The chicken is marinated in Oyster Sauce, along with other ingredients. I didn't bother adding breadcrumbs or water, and only added flour to the marinaded chicken, just before frying
Love this recipe - it is different and I will be making it again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 10:33PM by Irene Field.
January 22, 2018 08:16PM
That recipe looks lovely Irene,did you use plain flour or the rice flour?I don't have rice flour would it make much difference?
January 22, 2018 09:39PM
marylew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That recipe looks lovely Irene,did you use plain
> flour or the rice flour?I don't have rice flour
> would it make much difference?

Marylew, I just used plain flour as I also never stock rice flour. It is such an easy recipe and so tasty
January 22, 2018 11:34PM
Thanks for that.
January 23, 2018 10:26PM
If you have a powerful blender, you can make your own rice flour. I've made it using my Nutribullet with the milling blade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.