Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mince on Toast

Posted by helen 
Mince on Toast
July 12, 2017 05:17AM
Over the last few days the Brits have been annoyed that a US website suggested the mince on toast is a UK thing. Which apparently it isn't.
It seems instead that the finger should be pointed at us here in NZ.
I am interested to hear what you think of mince on toast.
Did you grow up with it? Do you still eat it? Do you think it is a perfectly acceptable way of eating mince?
I sprinkle cheese on mine, what about you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2017 06:43AM by helen.
Re: Mince on Toast
July 12, 2017 06:06AM
OMG yes I love mince on toast, especially with a softly poached egg on top, delectable.
Bev
July 12, 2017 06:10AM
Yes I still make it for my husband and like Judy put a poached egg on the top.
July 12, 2017 06:22AM
I grew up with mince on toast. I don't eat it that way any more because I don't eat bread, but I still braise minced beef with onion, carrots, Worcestershire Sauce and a few other flavourings, call it "Depression Mince", and eat it with mashed potatoes and greens, also have it with poached eggs for breakfast.
July 12, 2017 06:40AM
Love it. Sometimes after we had savoury mince, if there was any left we would have it on toast. I have no idea where mince on toast originated but I think so many countries have had their own version for many years.
July 12, 2017 06:46AM
I like mince on toast or a toasted bun.I suppose I did grow up with it because somehow I know it's tasty.Sounds like it's not polite to indulge.
J1
July 12, 2017 07:24AM
This is funny because yesterday we were going to have something for dinner which I just ran out of time to do so I thought right we're having mince - these past years we virtually never have mince; most nights some creative event is taking place instead. So I bought the mince and even TWO PACKETS OF MAGGI CHICKEN NOODLE DRIED SOUP MIX to put in it!! As I handed the plates out I said "we're having a 1970's meal tonight". Served with potatoes and cabbage! One person went back for seconds twice (it wasn't me).

I grew up having mince on toast. Although I like the mince mixture, I no longer like the toast because I don't like the sogginess.
July 12, 2017 10:04AM
They quoted me in The Guardian which is kind of cool - particularly if people click on the link to foodlovers.
The comments at the bottom of the article are priceless.
Seems it truly is a NZ (and probably Australian) thing.
Mince on Toast
July 12, 2017 11:23AM
Ha ha, that's great. Well done Helen.
July 12, 2017 11:27AM
Someone emailed me and asked if I had time for a quick chat, they then asked if I had time for a quick recipe and 2 hours later it was live.
616 people have commented on the article, who knew that mince on toast would create such interest.
July 12, 2017 01:37PM
I came here from the UK with my family as a very small child and we never had mince on toast. In fact I've still never eaten it. So I'd definitely agree it's not a UK thing!
July 13, 2017 12:26AM
Funny! Good for you, Helen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 12:27AM by Stephanie T.
July 13, 2017 02:34AM
I don't think I'd have married my English husband had I realised early in our relationship that he abhorred mince on toast with a poached egg,thumbs down or leftovers on toast with a poached egg, or spinach with a poached egg, or bubble and squeak with a poached egg. He is unrelenting in his distaste for such peculiar breakfasts. angry smiley Left over curry with a poached egg another trance inducing delight spinning smiley sticking its tongue outfor me but not for him. Meanwhile, he happily hot smileytucks into weebix with a mountain of white sugar and ice cold milk even in the midst of winter. It makes me gag eye rolling smileyand I have to prepare it for him. sad smiley There is no fairness in life. I know, I'm and idiot for putting up with it all but his scorn and derision and absolute conviction of the wrongness of mince on toast, plays havoc with my gentle psyche.eye rolling smiley
July 13, 2017 02:56AM
Kone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
.... Left over curry with
> a poached egg another trance inducing delight

My favourite breakfast!
DK
July 13, 2017 03:11AM
Oh no, now I want some mince on toast. I love it. I think the mixture of textures that you get from the softened soaked inner toast, the firmer soaked crust, and the crunchy bits of toast that are left uncovered (yes, there is an art to mince distribution) is one of the delights for me. Also, Vogels toast is perfect for dishes like this because its robustness stands up to the moisture.
July 13, 2017 05:30AM
I'll be the odd one out. I thoroughly dislike mince on toast in all forms...
July 13, 2017 11:06AM
I'm English, been here 50 years on 31st August and we will NOT be having mince on toast for breakfast to celebrate!! Definitely not an English thing. I don't mind my mince being turned into spag bol sauce, or meatballs or even meatloaf, but not just fried, sauced and eaten with various other strange food combinations (eggs done anyway).
July 13, 2017 10:34PM
What about tinned Watties spaghetti with cheese on toast for breakfast? Another masterpiece in my book; and somehow, I don't know how, I've even got the Colonel eating it on rare occasions, when the mornings are frosty round the edges. I'm truly sorry if bringing this up has upset some fragile morning digestions.eye rolling smiley Of course an egg on top makes it even better, but the Colonel won't be led too far astray in this regard, so it's plain cheesy spaghetti for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2017 10:36PM by Kone.
July 13, 2017 11:04PM
Thank you for bringing it up Kone. It almost made me bring up my muesli with grapes and yoghurt! the finger smiley
July 13, 2017 11:17PM
You are most welcome Lorna. May have hit upon a new diet here. This will make you bring up the rest of it. All this mince on toast has inspired me to heat up last nights chicken stir fry. Heating as we speak and of course, 2 lil eggs plopping in the water bath. Don't thank me, send cheque instead. cool smiley
July 14, 2017 07:46AM
Kone, has it occurred to you that maybe he just doesn't like eggs? :-)
July 14, 2017 09:06AM
He loves eggs Griz. He thinks I make the best poached, scrambled and perfectly boiled egg dishes in the world. yawning smiley He likes them on toast, with toast, soldiers are nostalgic reminders of his mummy and welcome to share his plate. It's what's under them that gets his grundies in a tangle. He's even been known to eat bacon and egg pie but not too often. While I'm here I may as well tell you that I've discovered putting vinegar into the water you are going to hard boil your eggs, enables the shells to almost peel themselves. It also removes the colour which I find intriguing. A brown egg will lose most of its colour. Cool what?
July 14, 2017 09:53AM
I grew up with Italian style - as in a tomato based sauce with mince from my dad and more the Kiwi mince with carrots from my mum. I dont really remember having it on toast though - with potatoes or pasta.

I now use any mince - Mexican, curry, Italian and add it to toast - usually a ciabatta or sourdough and either grate cheese on top, tomato sauce or even a dollop of sour cream.

Oh YES an egg poached or lightly fried is the perfect addition.

I love it, as do my kids - always satisfying.

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 09:57AM by Vanessa45.
July 16, 2017 12:59AM
I think the Australians "Sloppy Joe" is basically mince on toast, all be it in some type of bun or roll.
DK
July 16, 2017 01:41PM
@Danube - a Sloppy Joe is more of a North American thing, rather than Australian.
July 17, 2017 01:22AM
Did anybody see the video with Al Brown speaking on the subject?
It popped up on my facebook page so I had to see what it his opinion was. It is so refreshing to hear someone with a down to earth approach. He doesn't seem to me to be someone who would be into posturing. No other names mentioned, of course. eye rolling smiley

[www.newstalkzb.co.nz]
July 17, 2017 09:47AM
Interesting, I first came across Sloppy Joes when I lived in Queensland in the early 80's, I had never heard of one in NZ. So actually the US have been eating Mince on Toast for years LOL.
July 21, 2017 06:21AM
We love mince on toast in this house sometimes I curry it. It usually starts out as a meal with mashed potatoes, cabbage ,carrots & peas,it's the left overs that go onto the toast the next day with of course the egg on top. We also like grated cheese on it too & often made into a pie. As a child we would have them in toasties. The toasty machine (for want of a better word) was one of those things that you put your bread into the filling on that & another slice of bread on top & clamp it down & cook over a fire until cooked we used to put all sorts into them. The bread went like crunchy toast, used to put cooked apples into them as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 06:24AM by Lyn V.
July 21, 2017 08:27AM
Mince toasties per Lyn V. Be still my beating heart.
J1
July 21, 2017 09:32AM
Ooh Lyn V you brought back memories of us doing that too. We used to call it the toastie pie maker. Even though it had a really long handle, sometimes I still wore an oven mitt to wield off the heat of the fire. Our favourite filling though was Wattie's creamed corn with chopped bacon added. Was always so hot hot hot, had to wait for it to call down a bit...those minutes were very long. I remember those charcoal edges...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.