Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mince on Toast

Posted by helen 
Bev
Re: Mince on Toast
July 21, 2017 09:42AM
J1 we called them a Jaffle iron, you can still buy them in camping stores. Toastie Pies are great and we often have them for lunch in the winter.
July 21, 2017 10:30AM
Jiffy irons. As in ready in a jiffy. What is a Jaffle?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 10:31AM by Kone.
Bev
July 21, 2017 10:44AM
A Jaffle is a toasted sandwich. It is what I grew up knowing them as. I imagine it is the same as a Jiffy. Here is the link to the Jaffle iron.
[www.huntingandfishing.co.nz]
July 21, 2017 11:31AM
Yep, my Jiffy iron looks just like a Jaffle iron.
J1
July 21, 2017 11:35AM
In Canada they're Bush Pies. Following that logic, ours would have to have been Lounge Pies smiling bouncing smiley
[ibackpackcanada.com]

In America it's the Pudgie Pie [community.deergear.com] but also called the Hobo Pie.

APPARENTLY, Jaffle is the Australian term....... [en.wikipedia.org]
July 21, 2017 11:53AM
In my family in the sixties we called them toasties. The fillings were creamed corn or whole egg or cheese and bacon.
July 21, 2017 12:33PM
Still got two "toastie pie" makers here. Inherited my Mum's and bought one at a garage sale when the kids were small. Fillings, cheese and pineapple; egg and bacon; creamed corn, cheese and ham; or apple sprinkled with icing sugar.
Yes I'm familiar with "Jaffle" as an Aussie term, I thought it was a brand name for an electronic version of a full, sealed around the edges, toasted sandwich.
July 22, 2017 12:21AM
We had a manual one in England and we called them toastie pies, I'm sure. Ours had a round head, long handles and maroon enameled handles. The shape was very reminiscent of the old fashoined warming pans they used to put coals into then run them up and down between the sheets before getting into bed on a cold winter night! I've still got my first electric toastie-pie maker, a square, double-headed one that doesn't cut the toasties in half (can get more filling in!) It's still going strong, especially in winter. I often use some of last night's left over casserole or roast and make a toastie-pie and perhaps some soup to go with it. Yum!
July 23, 2017 02:05AM
I don't think we still have our old toastie pie irons, unless they are lurking somewhere down in the garage. My husband always used to call them Quixies, I never got used to that name and refused to call them as such. Occasionally I would use pastry instead of bread and thought they tasted something like the Georgie Pies.
J1
July 23, 2017 03:20AM
Ah well there we are, we have another name for them now too except it's apparently spelt Quicksie (instead of Quixies):
[www.facebook.com]
July 23, 2017 05:36AM
Ignoring my typo, obviously my husband had picked up the word from his father and I was thinking it must have come from his soldiering days. Thanks J1. I think I'll still call them toastie pies. smiling smiley
July 23, 2017 02:13PM
Mince on toast smiling smiley? You all are talking about a dish which is not invented in Poland yetsmiling smiley. For toasts we still use cheese, ham and mushroom.

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
J1
July 23, 2017 10:47PM
The Guardian ran an opinion piece on it - NZ pops up - "And so it took a friend, an ally, to stand up for the maligned, forgotten mince on toast. New Zealand, land of lamb mince and friendly Hobbit-sized bakers, laid claim to the dish on Wednesday. With tears in their eyes, bursting with national pride, Aucklanders and Wellingtoners posted pictures of their many mince-on-toast meals: breakfast mince on toast with egg; chilli mince on toast for the experimental; venison mince on focaccia for the New Zealand version of Jay Rayner. Such ingenuity, such vision, put us sneering Brits to shame."
[www.theguardian.com]
July 24, 2017 03:50AM
I did enjoy reading that, J1.
I will send the link on to my Paris/London based niece who has lived there for many decades. She will love it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.